Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Cacao pecan truffle balls

When I shared my recent round-up of chocolate recipes, I realised I was quite some time since I'd shared a new chocolate snack or dessert. There was hot chocolate a month ago, but my last really chocolatey recipes were in December. Too long! These cacao pecan truffle balls are to make up for lost time.


These balls differ to previous ones I've made by virtue of using pecans (in my view one of the most decadent and delicious nuts out there), raisins instead of dates (which I think give a more truffle-like texture), and both cacao powder and cacao nibs. They're easy to make and very pleasing to eat.


Pecans are a rather expensive nut so if you prefer, you could substitute almonds or walnuts for half of the nut quantity. However, I recommend keeping at least 1/2 cup of pecans because they really do make these truffles a little more special.

Cacao pecan truffle balls
Easy, delicious and beautifully chocolatey
Vegan
Makes about 20 balls

Food processor required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup pecan nuts
1 cup raisins / sultanas
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp cacao powder
1 tbsp cacao nibs

Method
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until the mixture is smooth and clumping together. 

Roll dessertspoons of the mixture between your hands to form individual truffle balls. The balls can be eaten straight away but are best after an hour or so in the fridge.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

What snacks are you enjoying at the moment?

18 comments:

  1. Nice! Interesting to hear your thoughts on pecans - I often use walnuts instead as I have a particular fondness for walnuts and usually have them about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like walnuts too and am sure these would be delicious with some in the mix.

      Delete
  2. Your Chocolate Pecan Truffle Balls look so darn cute, Kari! I sure wish I had a bowl full right now!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really good. I am sure they'd taste good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am obsessed with raw energy balls like this at the moment. Especially when they have some orange in them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely add orange actually, but that would be a nice twist to these.

      Delete
  5. I love pecans, but I find them a bit pricey therefore a treat and these are indeed a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pecan nuts! This would be so delicious. Bliss balls are so good because you can make them quickly from ingredients in the pantry when a craving strikes.
    Thanks so much for sharing
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this delicious sounding chocolate recipe that I pinned. Have you ever tried the recipe without nuts? I can't eat them, but LOVE chocolate. Great seeing you on Healthy Vegan Fridays. Hope you'll visit me either at www.colors4health.com or obloggernewbie.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, thanks for your comment. I'm sure you could make these without nuts but you'd have to be creative with what to substitute in. Sunflower or pumpkin seeds would be a straightforward swap but would give a different taste. Otherwise you could try using half chia seeds and half oats in place of the nuts.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for getting back to me. Sunflower or pumpkin seeds are a great idea. Now that I think of it, I might use coconut flakes. Any way you look at it, chocolate rules. Nancy Andres @ www.colors4health.com

      Delete
    3. Coconut is a great idea :-)

      Delete
  8. I love a good pecan recipe - I always have some on hand for making fruit and nut balls. These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum!!! These sound amazing! And totally worth the pecan splurge. Actually, almonds are more expensive where I am right now, so bring on the pecans!
    Thanks so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays. I'm pinning & sharing =)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).