Thursday, February 5, 2015

Paprika-spiced sweet potato, bean and tahini patties {London marathon fundraising}

At first glance, these sweet potato patties may not look very exciting. I am sure we've all come across sweet potato veggie burgers before, and nice as they may be, they're not exactly novel. However, I can say with all honesty that these are the best veggie patties, of any type, that I have ever had! The texture is almost cake like, and the flavours are sweet and smoky and full-bodied and altogether delightful.


I am particularly taken with these because I made the recipe up as I went along. It could have turned out terribly. Instead, it seems I was channeling some hitherto unseen kitchen intuition. I wouldn't change a thing next time around. I think the magic ingredient was besan (chickpea) flour, which I suspect lends these patties their cake-like texture. Savoury cakes probably don't sound very nice, but I promise these work!



I used 2 cups of mushrooms in these, but if you don't like mushrooms, don't despair. You could probably substitute other vegetables instead, but you can't taste the mushrooms anyway. I also whizzed most of the ingredients together in a food processor, so there are no mushroom 'bits' to be detected. I kept sweetcorn back to stir in at the end though, and liked the contrast of corn pieces against the otherwise smooth texture.

These are enjoyable hot or cold and I liked them with a simple kale salad, drizzled with balsamic vinegar or tomato sauce or more tahini. They could be eaten in burger form too, or paired with quinoa and cooked vegetables. I even ate a few completely plain.


There is a little bit of preparation required for these, but not too much - and I do think they're worth it. The recipe also makes quite a large batch, so I froze half of mine (they defrost fine on low heat in the oven).

Paprika-spiced sweet potato, bean and tahini patties
Vegan, gluten free patties that are cake-like in texture and delicious in flavour
Makes 24 patties

Food processor needed

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
2 medium-large sweet potatoes, cooked and peeled
1 bunch spring onions, ends trimmed and roughly chopped
1 red pepper, roughly chopped
2 cups mushrooms, washed and ends removed
1-1/2 cups cooked haricot or cannelloni beans
1/4 cup tahini
2 tbsp tomato sauce (I used the commercial type with salt and sugar - if you prefer not to use that, substitute 1 tbsp tomato paste + 1 tsp liquid sweetener of choice + 2 tsp water + 1/4 tsp salt)
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt, to taste
Few decent cracks of black pepper
1 cup cooked corn
1 cup + 1 cup besan (chickpea) flour, divided

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C and line three baking trays with non-stick paper.

Combine the cooked sweet potato, spring onions, red pepper, mushrooms and beans in a food processor and process until well combined. Add the tahini, tomato sauce, paprika, chilli powder, salt and pepper and process to incorporate. 

Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the corn and 1 cup of the besan flour. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Add the remaining flour gradually, stirring to incorporate. The mixture should approximate the consistency of cake batter.

Using a dessertspoon or soup spoon, scoop pattie-sized dollops of mixture onto your prepared baking trays, leaving a few centimetres between each pattie. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, checking at the 30 minute mark.
                                                                                                                               
This post is part of my fundraising efforts for the 2015 London Marathon. I am running for Beat, the UK eating disorder charity. If you liked this recipe and are in a position to make a donation, I'd be grateful for any contribution you could spare! You can make a donations of any size on my fundraising page.

Check out my introductory post and my fundraising page for more information. 

Days until the marathon: 79                    Training miles logged in 2015: 134.97
                                                                                                                               

21 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! I love how packed with veggies they are. For me, spending some prep/cooking time is always worthwhile when the result is as nutritious as this. It seems like I'd like them in burger form with some BBQ sauce or ketchup! And I'd substitute something else for the mushrooms =P

    135 miles logged, way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, not a mushroom fan? :-) I'm sure you could come up with a substitution that works though, and they are definitely good with ketchup!

      Delete
  2. I cannot even IMAGINE how these would taste, but I am MORE THAN willing to CHOW ON and try! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I'm going to make these, they look fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Besan is a magic ingredient - these look great - I am also very fond of sweet potato and corn combo - have already made one of your sweet potato burgers and loved them so am ready to believe you that these are amazing - will be bookmarking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them Johanna - I do imagine they would suit your tastes :-)

      Delete
  5. I normally have a game plan when coking, but I tell ya, some of my fav meals are those that I made on a whim. Yes, I've seen many sweet potato patties, BUT I'm loving the addition of mushrooms and of course the chickpea flour..the spices add a punch of flavor as well, I imagine! Yum! Def trying!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them Min! Whim-based cooking is really fun when it works :-)

      Delete
  6. Most of what I make is made up as I go along too, nothing wrong with that! The problem I have is remembering everything that went into the recipe afterwards. These look delicious, almost like little bhajis! I think I'll pin them to try at some point, they're perfect for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I relate to the problem of remembering things! I have to keep a notebook or my phone in the kitchen to scribble it down as I go or soon after :-)

      Delete
  7. These sound really yummy! I'm obsessed with sweet potato at the moment - it's such a great Winter comfort food ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is :-) I'm loving it in all sorts of formats too!

      Delete
  8. I am so impressed that you made these up as you wen along- they look amazing! Don't you love it when inventions such as this work out?! Love the look of the ingredients in these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fantastic when things work out, just as it is equally sad when they don't - but I think the good times make up for the failures ;)

      Delete
  9. This looks super delicious!! Yummy! Maybe I should give these a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These little potato cakes look delish Kari. I do like sweet potato and this is a new to me way to cook them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm impressed with all your training miles. Well done. I love mushrooms to I would adore these patties. They look really good and I'm sure are full of flavour xx

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).