Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Fruity chocolate marshmallow dessert pizza


I have long been fascinated by dessert pizza. As a child, it seemed like a brilliant idea - why not take pizza and improve it with chocolate and marshmallows and other sweet things? And yet, somehow, I never actually tried it. In childhood, external factors no doubt played a role in this. In adulthood, I think I always went for other desserts. More recently, foods with gelatin-containing marshmallows have been off the menu (and most dessert pizzas seem to include marshmallows).

Now that I can buy vegan marshmallows, it seemed the perfect time to indulge my childhood fantasy and make a dessert pizza at home. The pictures in this post do not do it justice - please accept my apologies for the lighting - but the pizza was every bit as gooey and sweet and satisfying as I had imagined. For my Australian readers who don't have access to vegan mallows, some dairy free white chocolate would be a possible alternative for the topping.

I adapted my pizza base from the recipe I use when making savoury pizza at home, but added banana. The result was a slightly sweet, slightly cake-like base that conjured up thoughts of banana bread. Mr Bite and I agreed that it was a great match for the toppings.

As for the toppings, I made a semi-sweet chocolate sauce from coconut oil, maple syrup and cocoa powder. On top of it were the vegan marshmallows, raspberries, and a sprinkling of cocoa nibs. Next time I may not bother with the nibs - much as I love them, their crunchy texture seemed out of place on this. The marshmallows and raspberries, though, were fantastic.


This was definitely most enjoyable eaten warm. However, we also enjoyed the leftovers cold, and if we had a microwave (still in our shipment...!) a bit of reheating might have brought back the initial warm gooey-ness we liked so much.


If you have children, please make this with them. And if you don't? Make it for yourself.

Fruity chocolate marshmallow dessert pizza
A vegan dessert that is satisfying in all ways
Serves 4

Allow 45 minutes for the pizza dough to rise

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
For the base -
Generous 1/2 tsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp warm water
1 cup spelt flour
Pinch salt
1 banana, mashed
1/2 cup plain flour

For the topping -
1 tbsp coconut oil, in liquid form
1 tbsp maple syrup
1-1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup raspberries
1 cup vegan marshmallows
1 tbsp cocoa nibs, optional

Method
Combine the yeast, sugar and 1/4 cup warm water in a cup and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.

In a mixing bowl, combine the spelt flour and salt, and then add in the yeast mixture in water. Mix thoroughly and knead to form a soft dough. Don't add the banana and plain flour at this stage. Form the dough into a ball, cover and leave for approximately 45 minutes.

When the dough has risen, preheat your oven to 160'C (320'F). Add the mashed banana, 1/2 cup plain flour and 1 tbsp water to the dough and knead in to incorporate. Add a little more water if needed; the mix should be a little thinner than regular pizza dough or cookie dough, but still thick enough to maneuver into a pizza base.

Roll or shape the dough into a round base approximately 2cm (1 inch) thick and set aside.

Whisk together the liquid coconut oil, maple syrup and cocoa powder. Spread over the pizza base. Sprinkle over the raspberries, vegan marshmallows and cocoa nibs if using.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until the edge of the pizza base is firm and the marshmallows have melted. 

Best served warm.


Have you ever had dessert pizza?!
----
This post is part of my participation in the 2014 Vegan Month of Food. This week I am focusing on dessert options.

Previous 2014 Vegan MoFo posts:
Breakfasts-                                                          Snacks-
#1 - Vegan French toast                                                                                
#6 - Chocolate coated banana chips
#2 - Apple and strawberry muesli                                                             
#7 - Barbecue inspired nori snacks
#3 - Mango coconut buckwheat breakfast pudding                              
#8 - Carob latte
#4 - Tips for a vegan breakfast on the go                                                
#9 - Tide Tables Café
#5 - Chickpea pancakes with spicy kale and mango                             #10 - Dark chocolate and espresso almonds

Main meal options-                                         Desserts-
#11 - Moroccan tagine                                                                                 #16 - Liquorice cake
#12 - Teriyaki tofu                                                                                        #17 - Lemon-tahini potato fudge

12 comments:

  1. ooh we love dessert pizza but as you say it is not so easy to buy vegan marshmallows in Australia - though not impossible in Melbourne. I even have an out of date marshmallow mix - wonder if I could use that for pizza. I usually have a creamy base, choc chips and raspberries - and sylvia often requests chocolate pizza - I just use the leftover pizza dough when I have some (though not for some time) and don't worry about sweetening the dough. Now I really want it with gooey melty marshmallows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think marshmallow mix mallows would be perfect for pizza - I think we've shared experiences on them being a bit more gooey than the ones you buy in packets, which wouldn't matter at all in this dish! I expect the same principle applies to the out of date component.

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to try my hand at a dessert pizza also! LOVE the sound of yours. Vegan marshmallows really do make life easier, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep meaning to make one of these when I use dough for a pizza or stromboli. must get on to it, maybe on Saturday when we have 'Stromboli Saturday'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had a dessert pizza - but this looks very good indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend venturing into the dessert pizza world - it really is quite delicious :-)

      Delete
  5. What excellent fun Kari. A dessert pizza. I'll definately have to make your dough

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never tried a dessert pizza, they are becoming so popular though - even in restaurants!
    Can't say they really appeal to me to be honest! But then again making your own would be fun, just for the fun of it!!!! And I'm sure other household members would demolish it off quick enough - so i may just give your base a try - love the addition of banana in it :-)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).