Monday, October 28, 2013

Tofu and cabbage rice paper rolls with peanut molasses sauce

I think it's best to get something out of the way without delay: these rice paper rolls are messy. Really messy.

See?


Yes, I know. But now that we've all shared a laugh, I can move on to the benefits of these rolls. They might look a bit lumpy and misshapen, but they taste really good! Peanut butter and molasses are a well matched duo, and the crunchy cabbage is beautifully offset by the tender tofu and outer rice paper wrapping.

If you cut your cabbage more finely than I did, you may even manage to make your rolls taste really good and look smooth and sophisticated.



Unlike my usual rice paper roll combination, these have just two core fillings: tofu and cabbage. If this sounds boring, rest assured that the peanut molasses sauce makes up for it. However, it does give a different experience to the Vietnamese-style rolls that are packed with vermicelli noodles, grated carrot and mint. I've decided that I like both types equally, but in different ways.

I made these as a way to use up cabbage, and they certainly do a great job of that. They are also flavour-packed, light yet satisfying, and a great reason for sweet chilli sauce.


Tofu and cabbage rice paper rolls with peanut molasses sauce
Vegan
Makes 12 rice paper rolls


Ingredients
1 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 tbsp molasses
1 tsp mirin or rice vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp water
350g block firm tofu, pressed and sliced
1/3 head cabbage, shredded (finely shredded is recommended!)
12 rice paper wrappers

Method
Combine the peanut butter, molasses, mirin/rice vinegar, soy sauce and water in a shallow dish. Whisk to combine. Add the sliced tofu strips and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.

Reserve the leftover marinade and then lightly grill or stir fry the tofu strips for several minutes on either side, until just golden. Set aside to cool. Add the leftover marinade to the shredded cabbage.

Add warm water to a shallow bowl and line up the rice paper sheets, cabbage, cooled tofu strips, and a large plate or board. 

Place a sheet of rice paper in the warm water to soften, transfer to the plate/board, fill with cabbage and tofu, and roll up. Repeat.

Store in the fridge until needed and then serve with sweet chilli sauce.


These are messy to eat as well as to look at, but it is the sort of messiness that is thoroughly enjoyable. Embrace it!

Are you a neat and skilled roller / compiler / maker of food? I am neat in just about all areas of my life, but clearly this is not one of them...

15 comments:

  1. Messy all the way! It's all about how it tastes not how it looks....yeah yeah you eat with your eyes but realllyyyy we eat with our mouths- unless I'm missing something! :P
    9 times out of 10 I will dump it all in a pot/pan/blender and enjoy. If I ate with my eyes I would never have tried green smoothies!
    I never thought of using molasses with rice paper rolls and pb- I've had some sitting in the cupboard for agessss thanks Kari! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness we can see past appearances! You're right, some of the best tasting things don't look that great at all. Thanks Claire :-)

      Delete
  2. Messy is good :) I love molasses in savoury things and crunchy cabbage sounds like it would be great with tofu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crunchy cabbage / tofu pairing worked far more amazingly than I'd expected. I do highly recommend it :-) And thanks for embracing the messiness!

      Delete
  3. It took me a while to understand you meant they looked messy - I thought at first you just meant they were messy to eat - I find the whole experience with getting rice paper rolls together messy and dipping sauces get so messy too - but I still love finding new ideas for rice paper rolls - sounds very interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for not being clearer - I can see on re-reading it is not immediately obvious what I am talking about but don't see how to fix it now without re-writing the whole post! These were messy in all the ways ;)

      Delete
    2. no need to rewrite the post - it is fun to write about mess and I think I just read what I wanted to - as we all do

      Delete
  4. All too often the messier a food is, the better it tastes! And I think these definitely uphold that life principle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I should live by that motto - that and free and regular use of 'rustic' :D

      Delete
  5. I love rice paper rolls and am not fussed about a perfect shape. These sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a delightful lot of non-perfect embracing readers :-) Thanks Cakelaw!

      Delete
  6. hehe i agree that rice paper rolls are messy - i have no luck in rolling them neatly at all!
    however I do love the sound of this flavour combination you have - def going to try it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I make something that looks messy I call it 'rustic'. I love cabbage rolls and I have made them and yes, it's a messy process but very worth it. I haven't tried them with peanut butter, tofu and molasses - I must give this a try xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very fond of the word 'rustic'. I thought these might be stretching even that term a little too far though ;) The peanut butter, tofu and molasses make very good friends with the cabbage!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).