Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Raspberry-topped, vegan, no-bake chocolate tart

I might have made some recipe repeats recently, but today we have something entirely new. I know it looks like vegan chocolate tarts I've made before, but...it isn't.



Amazing as it may seem (and amazing it does seem), this is the first dessert I have made that features tofu.

The chocolate tart filling is from Chocolate Covered Katie, and was also featured by Johanna on Green Gourmet Giraffe earlier this month. Katie's chocolate fudge pie has been a long-standing item on my bookmarked recipes list, and Johanna's enjoyment of it was enough to push me into action and move it from bookmarked to made.


I paired the filling with the base of Janet's Better than Nutella Cheesecake, which is also on my to make list. Adding raspberries to the top brought it all together. It was rich, and creamy, and silky, and chocolatey, and perfectly (not too) sweet.

I made this to serve at book club, and I think it's safe to call it universally well received. Mr Bite even enjoyed his slice despite the nuts in the base, and he usually spots - and avoids - nuts from a long way off. In all, I'd label this both fool proof and fail safe, and suggest you add the original recipes to your own bookmarks list for when you want a dessert that ticks both boxes and is delicious to boot!


I'm not repeating the recipes here because I did no modifications, but I am summarising the components. It's a simple dish to put together and the main challenge is in restraining yourself from diving in once the tart is compiled!

Chocolate filling - Made as per Chocolate Covered Katie's Ultimate Chocolate Pie, with metric ingredient quantities given by Johanna, featuring silken tofu, 50% cocoa dark chocolate, cocoa, non-dairy milk, and vanilla.

Chocolate hazelnut base - Made as per Janet's Better than Nutella Cheesecake base, featuring raw hazelnuts, dates, and cocoa powder.

Raspberry topping - 300g raspberries, thawed from frozen, added to the top after compiling and setting the tart.


Now tell me - what other tofu desserts should I try? I need to make up for lost time...

34 comments:

  1. Yum that looks really delicious, I'm going to go check out those recipes now :)

    I can't say I've ever made a tofu dessert to be able to recommend anything to you. I've heard more of avocado based desserts more than tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more familiar with avocado too :-) This is similar in some ways, but creamier and smoother in others.

      Delete
  2. This does look really delicious. I love all the fresh raspberries on the top of the tart. And tell Mr Bite, I love nuts in any base xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Charlie - I think he's the odd one out!

      Delete
  3. Omg the sight of all those raspberries on top is delicious - making me very hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the kind of dessert that does that :)

      Delete
  4. It looks so delicious with all those raspberries on top. Glad it was enjoyed by everyone - I must try Janet's base. I think you will enjoy tofu in desserts now. Chocolate mousse with tofu is brilliant. I have also tried ice cream with tofu but was less enthused about it probably due to my inexperience at making chocolate and I have a chocolate date cake on my blog that uses tofu as a binder that I haven't made for years - it is at http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com.au/2007/08/baking-cake-for-climate-change.html if cakes come into your dessert category!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate date cake definitely comes into my dessert category - it sounds great! And I am very, very keen to try tofu chocolate mousse now. In fact, it seems essential to do it ASAP!

      Delete
  5. This looks so rich and chocolaty, perfect with raspberries...yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - it really was a perfect mix!

      Delete
  6. mmm... chocolate + raspberries = a perfect match! I use silken tofu in my "cream cheese" frosting for my carrot cake recipe - it works really well! (and Im sure it could be adapted to go with other kinds of cakes too : ) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love tofu desserts - they are so tasty.
    I love tofu blended with strawberries to make a mousse for dessert :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. High five for both deliciousness AND ethics. I do believe it's not-on to repost recipes even with just tiny changes, so GO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you - I feel the same and cringe at some of my early blog posts where I didn't follow that approach. I always think it reflects better on the blog when that stance is taken.

      Delete
  9. I can't believe Mr Bite avoids nuts!! What a crime! This looks delicious - raspberries are the BEST with chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! On both counts - the nuts and the raspberry / chocolate ;)

      Delete
  10. That looks so delish!!! Great job for fooling Mr. Bite too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if he was fooled, but he was at least agreeable to being taken out of his usual comfort zone ;)

      Delete
  11. I have used tofu in desserts and think that the texture works really well. I'm sorry I haven't been around - haven't visited any blogs for about two weeks and have missed them - but made your pumpkin /date scones - they were really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad! I want another batch for myself :)

      Delete
  12. This looks SO good! I don't think I've made many tofu based desserts but then again I don't make desserts very often. I've definitely done a chocolate mouse and also used tofu as a binder in cakes.

    Ground nuts can be deceiving for people that aren't generally crazy about eating nuts. My husband can't stand it when whole nuts are added to stir frys but he loves creamy nut based sauces and I'm sure he would love this too (perhaps with strawberries though as he is also not keen on raspberries)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think strawberries would go very well too Mel :-) And with his sweet tooth, I think it would be a hit!

      Delete
  13. I've been a bit wary of baking with cheesecake but so far I've done it twice now, and both with amazing results! Really, no one could tell. This looks so amazingly rich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely rich. But in a good way ;)

      Delete
  14. Delicious! I watched the American Baking Challenge last night and they had to make 36 tarts (mini) in two hours and then be judged! I have never made one, but they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. That is a mammoth effort!

      Delete
  15. Yum! So happy you liked it! Definitely one of my favourite desserts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the addition of the raspberries1 Reminds me of one of my FAVOURITE childhood desserts- chocolate truffle cake with thawed frozen raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG - this looks devine!!! I was ecstatic to get some raspberries here today for $7 a punnet - a bargain compared with the $9 they usually cost.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).