Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Wedding recap

This has been a surprisingly hard post to write. It is difficult to condense one incredible, jam-packed, eventful, significant day into one post! Indeed, I wondered for a while if I really wanted to try and do so, but whilst this blog isn't meant to be a diary, it has proved a useful way of marking important events in my life.


My wedding, clearly, is in the 'important' category and skipping over it just didn't seem right. Thus, we have a post. Given this isn't a diary, I have tried to be concise, but brevity isn't my strong point and I'm not sure how successful I've been! For those of you completely sick of wedding talk (to whom I apologise), we should have a return to normal broadcasting soon...albeit with a travel spin on things from next Saturday.

So.

One's wedding day.


I'm not sure how wedding days are meant to start, but mine started in my own bed in my own house minus my husband-to-be (who, to use his term, had been 'banished' to his Mum's the night before). Whilst I visited my family the evening before, I wanted to spend a last night in my house - the house I lived in before Mr Bite and I started dating - before starting married life.

I woke with the peculiar combination of nervousness and excitement that I know rather well (it is rare for me to have excitement without nervousness), and which I suspect marks most wedding mornings for most women.

By 8.45am, I was off getting hair and make-up done, despite originally thinking I wouldn't get hair and make-up done professionally. There were 3 things I hadn't planned on doing that I did do in the end: professional hair and make-up, bouquets of flowers, and a train on my dress.

The hair and make-up entered the picture when I realised that doing my own hair was a recipe for significant stress, and doing my own make-up was a recipe for looking like a ghost in all of my wedding photos. 

The bouquets were a concession to tradition after discussions with my Mum and sister (and looked lovely), and the train on my dress was a consequence of not wanting to pay for alterations to cut it off the dress I found and liked!

Anyway. Hair and make-up were done as up and minimal, respectively. 


I am pleased to say that I liked both, and could have achieved neither on my own.


From hair and make up I went to my parent's house, where my dress waited and the task of getting me into the dress was pending.


Like so many wedding dresses, mine had a back that laced up. I had concerns about this. Originally my dress was strapless, and whilst I had the halterneck above added, it wasn't really meant to hold my dress up. I normally avoid strapless tops and dresses because they have a tendency to fall down and/or I spend my time constantly pulling them up. Suffice to say, I was concerned about getting the lacing done up tightly.

This may have been attempt 2 out of 3 in our lacing efforts

It was hard to do up tightly. My poor mother had to deal with my anxious notes of "it's not tight enough! it's not sitting high enough! it's going to fall down!" for a solid 30 minutes of lacing and re-lacing.

Eventually, I was laced, the dress was as tight as it was going to go, and I made a mental note to remind my sister of the perils of lacing if and when she ever chooses a wedding dress. Zips should feature on more wedding dresses, if you ask me.

My sister with her bouquet

We got married at Araluen Botanic Park, which is about an hour east of Perth. The park consists of 150 acres or so of gardens and is renowned for tulips in Spring, which we managed to time our wedding to coincide with.


We were incredibly fortunate with the weather, because today and yesterday have featured serious rain and wind and cold. Saturday was clear, sunny, and warm enough without being hot. We had a large pergola booked for the ceremony and afternoon tea reception, which was covered, but it would still have been less pleasant with cold rain in the background.

The ceremony was overseen by a celebrant, who did a wonderful job in guiding us and the guests through the various aspects of the day. We incorporated a sand pouring ceremony, which means we now have a bottle of mixed colour sand to keep and definitely not drop!, and a butterfly release, with Mr B, me, and Mr B's nieces and nephew each releasing a butterfly.


The ceremony is one of the things that has stuck in my mind most vividly. I could picture me in my dress, and the gardens, and the general atmosphere of the day, but couldn't see the ceremony in detail in advance. We didn't have a wedding rehearsal, and I was surprised at how intense and vivid the ceremony was. I think Mr Bite and I both forgot the guests in the background. It felt like a really significant event, and one quite laden with emotion, which I suppose is how it should be.



The ceremony lasted 20 minutes or so, we signed our marriage certificate, and the formal part of the day was done.

We spent about half an hour walking around the gardens having photos taken, which was more enjoyable than I had expected it to be. Usually I don't like being the centre of attention and I had expected posing in a wedding dress in public gardens to be a difficult scenario. However, on the day I didn't really think about it and indeed I quite enjoyed it (!).


From photos to food, and we had our afternoon high tea reception organised via Antiquitea. I can not speak highly enough of this company, which works to organise just about everything you could want organised for an afternoon tea event. I am so grateful for their efforts in making sure that part of the day went off smoothly. They also provide gorgeous vintage china which made the occasion seem far more special than standard white plates would have done.


I didn't pursue vegan catering because it seemed too difficult, and having the pre-wedding vegan high tea was enough to satisfy my own taste buds. The food for Saturday incorporated sandwiches (avocado and vegetable relish; avocado and chicken; smoked salmon and cream cheese), scones, lemon macarons, and savoury scrolls. That food came via Antiquitea, and we ordered cupcakes separately so that I could have a vegan variety for those. The variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian seemed to cater to everyone's tastes.



The cupcakes were in lieu of a wedding cake and included peppermint crisp and vegan vanilla flavours, from Kustom Cupcakes. They were fluffy and very well received.

They weren't presented in the box on the day...


In all, it was a beautiful afternoon, and one for which I am very grateful. Grateful for Mr Bite, first and foremost, and for this new stage of our lives; also grateful to our families for facilitating the day, and to our friends and extended family members who weren't invited but understood our preference for small!


This week is a return to normal life, before we head to Europe on Saturday night, but it doesn't really feel 'normal' and indeed feels very special.


Thank you again for the many congratulations and well wishes on my previous post. We both enjoyed reading through the comments and your kind words are much appreciated!

41 comments:

  1. yay! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I loved this post! Your dress is just beautiful and I love the pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look SO beautiful! I admire your ability to recap so well without:
    A) Making it seem like you are the first and best bride ever! (So many bloggers do this)
    B) Showing yourselves off too much... you show everything you need to but retain privacy.

    It sounds like it was a wonderful day.. so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much - that means a lot because I really was worried about how best to write this! Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Awww, you look so beautiful Kari! Congrats and I am so glad that the weather was great for your day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brandi :) We had hail yesterday (!) so I am super relieved about the weather too.

      Delete
  4. Oh thank you so much for sharing. You look just gorgeous!

    You definitely made the right decision re hair and makeup. I did my sister's hair for her wedding, talk about serious stress. Oh and she had a zip up dress but with buttons over the top that I swear took at least half an hour to do up using a crochet hook!

    Anyway, congratulations again, it looks like a just perfect day. I can't wait for your honeymoon travel tales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa :) I am really glad I saved myself the hair stress and that is good to know re. buttons - maybe there is no easy way to get a wedding dress done up! I suppose they look nicer as a result but it sure makes getting dress hard :P

      Delete
  5. You looked beautiful Kari- Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it - it sounds like it was simple, understated but exactly what you envisioned. The beautiful weather and the parks would have been amazing. congrats again and have fun on your honeymoon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A really beautiful recap. Sounds like everything worked seamlessly. I love the photos of your dress - very elegant. And the tableware looks so classy - I wanted some close ups but I guess you didn't have your camera on hand :-) So pleased you enjoyed your wedding - best wishes for married life and most immediately for your travels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee, the absence of food close ups does give away the fact I had no camera in my hand ;) There may be more to come as there are photos I haven't yet seen; I hope so because it was really beautiful china. Also - thank you :)

      Delete
  8. What a lovely post! Congratulations Kari (Mrs Bite), I'm so pleased that everything worked out exactly how you wanted it and what a bonus with the weather too. Your dress and hair booth look stunning. I think you made a wise decision getting hair and make-up done, I'm not the type of person to do those sorts of things but am glad I did for my wedding.

    I wish you and Mr Bite all the best for your married lives together and hope that you have a fantastic honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Mel. In hindsight, I can't believe I ever thought I could do my own hair and make-up so it was definitely the right decision. The morning before the ceremony just disappeared and I can imagine how much time would have gone into doing (and no doubt re-doing) my hair at home!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations Kari - you and Mr Bite are gorgeous - lots of best wishes for a very happy life together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so grateful that you did choose to share with us, Kari. What a gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous day. I'm so beyond-words happy for you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely, lovely, lovely.... although I am being a tad greedy and would LOVE to see your beautiful face to go with all the other pretty things!

    It looks like a wonderful day, and HOORAY for amazing weather! Makes such a difference.

    Ha, I did my make up in about 10 minutes, with only 20 minutes to go before walking down the aisle ;)

    Congrats to you scrummy newly weds - I wish you all the love, luck and light for your future together x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Lou - and the same back to you! It is quite fun getting married a week a part :) I am super impressed with your make up efforts though - I suspect you are more skilled than I to have achieved that (or perhaps have a face that dosen't look ghostly in its paleness?!).

      Delete
  12. Beauuuuuutiful Kari!!! Lovely to have you share some of your photos from the day (without showing your face -dammit! :-)
    Absolutely gorgeous dress, and I love the idea of the afternoon tea. Thank you for sharing a little slice of it.

    Now get out of here and go pack girl!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brydie :-) I must admit, it was a little odd showing so much of the back of me, but fortunately we ended up with quite a few photos that could easily be faceless.

      I am a bit concerned about the packing. I think I need to take your advice and get on to that!

      Delete
  13. OH! I'm soo glad and thankful that you decided in the end to share all the details of this unforgettable day with us! CONGRATULATIONS, Mrs. Bite!!! I'm glad you decided to get your hair and make-up professionally done! Took away unnecessary stress and pressure..not to mention grief, no? And I just had to laugh out loud when you said, "train on my dress was a consequence of not wanting to pay for alterations to cut it of." I love how you roll ;)
    Although I can only see you from behind, I can tell you looked stunning! So classy and lovely!
    It sure is a surreal feeling, isn't it? Hope you're having a blast in Europe! Can't wait to read all the recaps! For someone who's never stepped foot in Europe, I'm extremely looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Min! Surreal is definitely the right word - I'm still not entirely sure I've grasped that we are married and I have a new title and name. And I will definitely be sharing Europe photos when we get there, so hopefully you can live vicariously and see it from afar :)

      Delete
  14. Huge congratulations on your wedding day - it sounds like a brilliant day and I hope you are loving your European honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cara! We leave on Saturday night for Spain and I can't wait :)

      Delete
  15. Congratulations! I wish you soooo much happiness. Have a lovely honeymoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for sharing your special day with us. The back of your dress is stunning and I'm sure, when you look at the photos, that you are quite pleased you didn't hack the train off your dress - it looks stunning trailing behind you and so bridal. I'm glad it all went well and that you found it to be more special than you could have imagined. What a great start to married life. Have a great time in Europe - what a great destination for a honeymoon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie :) I am glad, in hindsight, that I left the train on. My mum was horrified when I suggested taking it off and as always it would seem that mother's are right :P Thanks so much xo

      Delete
  17. Congratulations!!!! I am so happy for you, and your dress is gorgeous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. STUNNING!! and i'm sooo happy for you and mr. bite! thank u for giving us a peek into one of the most special days of ur life, and i say that because i write my blog in the not-overly personal manner too, so i know how opening up such personal and special details on your monumentous occasion could leave u feeling a little torn. but it's SUCH a big deal i'm glad u didn't gloss over it completely..thanks for sharing and i wish u all the biggest CONGRATS!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cait :) It is a fine balance when blogging isn't usually too personal - I appreciate you understanding and am really glad you liked the post!

      Delete
  19. So beautiful!! Your dress, the gardens, those pictures by the waterfall--so gorgeous! And your reflections on the day were perfect, you'll be so glad you wrote it all down...so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!!! Everything looks so amazingly lovely. Your dress, the gardens, the sand pouring, the butterfly release. Magical, all of it. I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was out of contact on Norfolk Island when you posted this, but I am glad that I have sought it out. You and hubby look gorgeous, and I am so glad it was a nice day weather wise for you. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, and for taking the time to come back to say so!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).