Thursday, September 6, 2012

Vegan gingernut cheesecake slice, plus Goodreads

I almost feel a little sheepish publishing this. Your well wishes have us halfway to Europe already, and this is not at all a European post! In truth, though, we don't leave until Saturday night and this week is providing a brief return to (sort of) normality. As normality for me includes posting recipes, a recipe is what we have.


This gingernut slice is not my usual style of recipe. Whilst vegan, the ingredients are processed and the slice is rich and sweet and creamy. The creaminess is offset, though, by ginger spices and subtle pineapple flavours. It reminds me of a dessert my Mum made when I was growing up, and I liked it very much.

I am amused, on reflection, to realise that I don't know how or why I decided to make the slice. I am not  sure why I bought the gingernut biscuits in the first place, and having bought them, I have no idea what prompted me to put them in a food processor instead of dunking them in my tea. The slice is like that really - it virtually makes itself. 

I haven't done this justice with the photos, which were all taken in evening / artificial light, but the slice is so simple and the result so tasty that I thought it worth sharing anyway. 



Vegan gingernut cheesecake slice
Extremely easy
Makes about 20 squares


Ingredients
150g (about 15) vegan gingernut biscuits (many gingernut brands are vegan without advertising it)
1 cup / 160g vegan cream cheese (I used tofutti)
1 cup / 200g canned pineapple pieces, drained
1 cup / 100g rolled oats
1 tsp vanilla, optional


Method
Process the gingernut biscuits in a food processor until mixed into crumbs (or crush manually). Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth; don't over-process or the mix will be too thin.

Transfer to a square baking dish lined with baking paper and set in the freezer for several hours. Cut into squares, and allow to thaw at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.

Note. I found this kept best in the freezer, with just a few minutes of defrosting before eating. 


From gingernut flavours, we move to books, which in my mind makes for a perfect pairing. As some of you know, I log the books I read and these have been available to view via my Books page for some time. I settled on recording books in spreadsheet form because I found it easier than the online sites available. However, I have recently returned to Goodreads after Mr Bite discovered it and prompted me to re-activate my membership.

goodreads.com

I am not sure if I have got more technologically advanced in the last 3 years or if Goodreads improved their site, but I now find it easy to add books (the barcode scanner app for smart phones helps too) and navigate my way around. As a result, I have added the Goodreads widget to my books page instead of my spreadsheet table. My Goodreads account is still a bit of a work in progress but you can also follow me through Goodreads itself if you have an account of your own.

Do you use Goodreads or any similar book logging sites?
How about gingernut cheesecake flavours - yes or no?

23 comments:

  1. I have never even heard of gingernut. Is it anything like... gingerbread? That wouldn't go with pineapple so maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH... like a gingersnap. Never mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Although I'm glad you worked that out because I would have struggled to come up with the American name :)

      Delete
  3. I love gingernut biscuits and yes, they do make the best base for a cheesecake. What a lovely looking slice. This would be so full of flavour with the ginger and pineapple combination. Good luck with your packing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie! The packing is starting to be a cause of some concern! Thank goodness we're on a 10.30pm flight...

      Delete
  4. sounds like a delicious slice - funny how the ingredients can make a recipe inevitable sometimes!

    I wish I had more time to read your good reads list! I have read the latest in you list by Kate Grenville which I loved - I was so sure it was set in a country town I had visited for a history student trip - highly recommend the Secret River if you haven't read it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loved the Secret River - thank you for reminding me I've read it because it isn't in Goodreads yet (that is the challenge, all the books in my past making their way in!). She is such a great author.

      Delete
  5. Have fun in Europe- I am only a little jealous. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog and I love it! Your recipes look fabulous. Safe travels and I am excited to read your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks so much Alaine! I'm clicking over to your blog right now - I'm thrilled to discover you too :)

      Delete
  7. sorry, gotta say i'm a tad jealous too! ;) haha...jk...have a blast!! and please do me a favor and eat as much as humanly possible, take photos, and make sure that thing in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is invented an working by the time u get there. it's the TV where u can reach in and eat wat the people are showing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha...this comment has me laughing Cait :) I do wish that machine would hurry up and get invented, it would be oh-so-handy on those evenings I'm reading through food blogs! Thanks so much, and I'm sure we will eat plenty :)

      Delete
  8. Which countries are you going to visit in Europe? Anyway, these slices sound gorgeous, and it is a big plus that they don't need to be baked. I will look for some ginger biscuits to start with. And the combination with pineapple...can't wait to have a bite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zeeona :) And we're visiting Spain, Portugal and England!

      Delete
  9. So wish that I could go to Europe! I hope you guys have a wonderful time!! I am loving Goodreads right now. I love looking around to see what everyone is reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi! And Goodreads is brilliant for that sort of semi-snooping :P

      Delete
  10. I definitely occasionally buy ingredients that I'm then not quite sure why I bought! It seems like buying those cookies turned out for the best though because this cake looks delicious! I love all things ginger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :) Although, not actual crystallised ginger, oddly!

      Delete
  11. OH I can't wait to hear all about your wonderful trip! I've never had or even heard of gingernut.. so of course I googled it and it says it's same as ginger snap! Lol! Yes, I LOVE gingernut! Therefore, gingernut cheesecake sounds fabulous! I like the recipe only requires 5 ingredients! I'm probably going to use regular cream cheese which won't change the recipe all that much I'm thinking, right? The hubby loves cheesecake and I love gingernut so this one's a keeper. I just pinned it! Hope to make it very soon and will def let you know how it went down ;).

    I've never heard of goodeats either! What's wrong with me? You know I've never even thought about keeping a log of all the books I have read. What a brilliant idea! And I love how you can rate it too! I recently finished reading Still Alice..I'm with you..I give it a solid 4 star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still Alice was amazing wasn't it? Such a powerful book! I hope you have fun exploring Goodreads :)

      I also hope you like this slice if you try it! How funny that gingernuts and ginger snaps in America...I had no idea before. You could definitely use regular cream cheese, I think it would turn out pretty much identically :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).