Friday, September 14, 2012

Spain days 4 to 6 - Madrid and San Lorenzo De El Excorial

I smiled at some of you expressing concern over my blogging on honeymoon. Rest assured that we are having a wonderful, relaxing, honeymoon-ish time and my computer is only coming out at rationed intervals :-) I have found blogging to help hugely with organising my thoughts and helping my memory, and I am keen to have these posts to look back on for myself too.

My internet presence is likely to wax and wane over the month (and my commenting to be reduced), but free wifi and some quiet hours this week have allowed me to get online a few times.

Madrid's Royal Palace - front exterior

We have managed to alternate days in Madrid this week with day-trips out of the city. Highlights from the past few days include a visit to Madrid's Royal Palace (Palacio Real De Madrid), which is a spectacular building. It is also the official residence of the Spanish royal family in Madrid, despite it not actually being used by them to live in. The palace has 2,800 rooms, of which 50 are open to the public (no photos sadly), and they are incredibly ornate. I have decided that Spain knows how to decorate grandly - the wall coverings, painted ceilings and general atmosphere was most definitely regal.

Royal Palace - back and surrounding gardens (I was playing with my camera's sweep panorama setting)

We visited the palace on Wednesday, a day that also incorporated a cable car ride, a visit to the somewhat hot Casa de Campo park, and a visit to a chocolate and biscuit shop around the corner from where we are staying (a dangerous position). I purchased quite incredible flavoured chocolate almonds, which were challenging to photograph but delicious to eat.

These insisted on reflecting light and I was to impatient to eat them to take sufficient time to care!

Wednesday evening saw us venture to my second choice of the nearby vegetarian restaurants - my first choice being unhelpfully closed from Sunday through Wednesday evenings. Yerbabuena is very close to where we are staying, on Calle de Bordadores, and refers to itself as providing vegetarian haute cuisine. As we will see, this was not a good match for Mr Bite (!), but the restaurant lived up to its reputation.


The in-store Yerbabuena menu has English translations alongside the Spanish. About half of the dishes are vegan and most of the remaining meals can be made vegan on request. It was, to say the least, a joyous experience to have a whole string of possible dinner options to choose from.

I ordered a vegan dish described in the English translation as tofu fillets with mixed vegetables. The dish was far grander than that description would suggest, with 4 palm-sized tofu fillets interspersed with roast pepper and topped with some avocado sauce. I wasn't enamoured with the sauce, but it was easy to take off and I loved the rest. The tofu was as tender as any I have eaten, without being too soft, and the balance with peppers and some spinach was perfect.

Vegan tofu fillet stack with roast vegetables

The plate also included gazpacho (cold tomato soup), some additional baby peppers, tender potato slices, and some Asian-style sauce. It was a generous dish for the equivalent of about 10 Australian dollars.

Mr Bite ordered crepes with cheese filling, which came with sides of gazpacho, guacamole, salad and the same potato slices. He liked the crepes initially but then found the cheese to be (i) too much and (ii) soft cheese rather than the stronger cheddar he prefers. He also didn't like the sides, which I suspect were there to balance out the cheese.

Vegetarian rolled crepes with cheese and various sides

Mr Bite's drink for the evening, a papaya, mango and pineapple juice, also proved too papaya-y and in all I would say the evening's meal was as much a failure for him as it was a success for me. I have concluded that my husband, bless him, is not one for fancy vegetarian food. Thursday night we had pizza, which was a safer choice!

San Lorenzo de el Escorial

Thursday itself was a day-trip to San Lorenzo de el Escorial, a monastery and World Heritage Site about an hour out of Madrid. The monastery has been largely converted to a museum relating to Spanish royalty, which to us seemed a shame (we would have been keen to hear about the monastery itself), but the buildings are magnificent and the extensive tombs underneath the monastery were very impressive, albeit a tad creepy when considering the past monarchs housed inside (truly).

We also visited Madrid's botanical gardens on Thursday evening, which proved a delightful way to pass an hour and had the bonus of providing fun photo opportunities.

Botanical gardens


Friday, today, was in some ways our last 'proper' day in Madrid. We visited two private museums, the Museo de Cerralbo and Museo del Romaticismo, both of which were well worth seeing. The Cerralbo is the former home of Marquis Cerralbo and houses his impressive and extensive collections of paintings, ornaments and decorative objects. It cost less than four Australian dollars each, photos were allowed, and we were free to wander at leisure - without so much to see that the visit was overwhelming. In all, a perfect museum experience.

Images from the magnificent Museo de Cerralbo

The Museo del Romaticismo was more like a home, set up in the context of the mid-1800s, and was thus enjoyable but less dramatic. We weren't sure if cameras were allowed and were too timid to try and ask in Spanish (especially after I got told off, albeit kindly, for drinking water inside!), so we have no photos from there.

This afternoon also saw me squeeze in some solo shopping, which was cultural in a different sort of way, but I will save details of that for another time - it started with a vague idea of buying a summer dress but morphed to predominantly food purchases (!).

Tomorrow, we plan to visit the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, an art gallery to complement the Prado, and spend some relaxing hours in the large Parque del Buen Retiro, which has 140 hectares of gardens. We then take an overnight train to Lisbon in Portugal, and in Portugal we will remain until the following week.

Are you in to museums when travelling? When I'm by myself I tend to skip over most in favour of wandering and gardens and shops, but I do like them with company and in moderation.

28 comments:

  1. Kari, it all looks gorgeous...ahem, especially the chocolate and biscuit shop. For the almonds, you could have tried a shot of them being dropped in to your mouth :-)
    I love European museums and art galleries. Seems like a very long time ago that I did that though.
    Have fun exploring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That almond shot would have been great :-) Next time!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful trip!! Keep having fun :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm up for museums, as long as they're done in the spirit of "we can stop when we get tired and stop being able to take it in", rather than "WE MSUT VISIT EVERY PAINTING IN EVERY ROOM", which is a hard mindset to break out of sometimes.

    Oh, bless for opposite tastes! I've always heard tell that marriage is about compromise :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness yes, to the museum thing. Skipping or skimming things in the big museums is essential in my view!

      Delete
  4. I love museums - though like Hannah - I don't need to stop at every painting or exhibit. In fact in some european museums I just love walking through them and soaking up the historic atmosphere! Unfortunately E is unable to see as many museums as i would see if by myself. He need far more breaks than me which is probably better for me as I do tire myself out with grand plans for the day!

    The chocolate almonds look like fun (even if no fun to photograph) and the veg restaurant sounds great - but it is hard to enjoy a place when your dining companion is not enthused. Sounds like you have been seeing some wonderful places - and I am glad you are blogging them (even though I don't want you to spend the whole trip blogging as I agree you need to enjoy it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mr B actually has more museum stamina than I do...I don't need breaks in the museums so much as breaks between days in which museums are the focus!

      Delete
  5. It's so good to hear from you Kari and I'm glad your honeymoon is going really well. Those almonds look interesting. They almost look like those multi-flavoured little jelly beans. Looking forward to hearing about your food purchases. Sorry your husband had a terrible meal! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may have been a terrible match rather than a terrible meal per so :P And thank you!

      Delete
  6. I have to agree with you. Although I haven't taken a major trip since I started my blog, I would def post throughout the trip so that I can always look back on all the fun adventures I experienced! My memory is not quite what it used to be..it's failing me.
    Ooh..tofu "fillet" sounds so fancy! ;) It's so great that Mr. Bite is so opened to trying vegetarian meals! Something I'm working on with Tim.
    Oh, I LOVE botanical gardens! While I appreciate walking along the fancy floors and pretending like I appreciate and pretending like I know what the heck I'm looking at, I'm more of a nature-y girl myself I'm wild like that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love outdoor things too...we spend a lot of time in gardens and on walks!

      Mr Bite is actually mostly vegetarian, so it's normally pretty easy to agree on restaurants :) I think he's more into regular vegie than fancy vegie though! Good luck with Tim, it is tricky when people are meat eaters naturally.

      Delete
  7. I love the images in that last picture... truly beautiful. I like museums from time to time but tend to skip over them because of the price. Every once in a while, you can get in for free using various passes.
    Enjoy that honeymoon... don't worry about posting and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be exactly the same, on thinking costs weren't justifiable. I think that's why I ended up walking and in gardens and in shops (although the latter can be costly too in truth!). I have got more flexible with age though and I think stopping studying and starting working helped ;)

      Delete
  8. Ooh, veggie haute cuisine! When we were travelling, we ate at a few fancy-ish veg places, and Andy always seemed to order things he didn't like. As soon as the plates arrived, he would regret his decision, but his bad choices were often not vegan so I couldn't offer to swap him! Maybe there's something about husbands and fancy veg restaurants...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment made me chuckle and I had to show it to Mr Bite...glad it's not just us!

      Delete
  9. I love looking back at my travel blog. I just put together our photo book complete with the stories of the days. Someone commented on how much work it must have been, but in reality I just copied stuff from the blog posts.

    You sound like you are having an amazing time. I'm not sure if you follow Heidi at Apples Under My Bed but she has just done a whole series of posts about Lisbon where she was a couple of months ago. You should check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I do dip into Heidi's blog and was following her Lisbon posts with great interest :)

      Delete
  10. wow, that vegan tofu fillet stack with roast vegetables dish looks amazing! i am dying to go to Madrid - thanks for sharing your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most welcome! I'm thrilled you enjoyed them :)

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness! You guys must be having the time of your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pictures are absolutely beautiful!! I love that you are able to find vegan food over there & share it with us. I am dying to go to Madrid after seeing this pictures. Thank you so much for taking the time to post!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all of those different coloured olives - very fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, whilst they were chocolate coated almonds, the Spanish phrasing referred to them as olives - so you are spot on in your description :) They were very, very fun.

      Delete
  14. I think your pictures are gorgeous Kari - I'm glad to see you are having such an enjoyable time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great article with excellent idea! I appreciate your post. Thanks so much and let keep on sharing your stuffs keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).