Sunday, May 6, 2012

Thoughts whilst flying

Well, technically these aren't thoughts whilst flying so much as thoughts ahead of flying, scheduled to go out whilst flying. But that reads as far more confusing.

However we phrase it, I should be somewhere between Perth and Sydney at the time this goes out (Qantas willing). I'm a little peeved that my next four days of work training are in the same city as last year's work conference (my heart pines for Melbourne...and also Mr Bite, who is in Perth), but in truth it probably won't matter too much. I think this trip will leave little time for things other than work, and if it does, we're at least staying in a part of Sydney I've never been before - Parramatta.

Although my weekend has been interrupted by travel, we managed to squeeze quite a lot into it prior to my flight at midday today. Here are some of the more enjoyable components. Cleaning and washing don't make the list...although they are enjoyable when done, so there is that.


That's right, we actually went to a concert. It's rather an exciting event in our household, given it only happens once a year or so. This one was in honour of Mr Bite's birthday, with two tickets to the concert being a joint gift from my family and me (the 'me' component only being fair, given my participation in the gift :P ).

We hadn't realised until Friday that the concert was on May the Fourth, a date that is known by some as Star Wars day (say it outloud and you should realise why...). As the concert title suggests, there was more than just Star Wars music - pieces from Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Jaws, and other popular films featured too. The link was that all were composed by John Williams, a quite prolific composer who celebrated his 80th birthday this year.

Apologies for the phone camera quality...

...at least the first has some level of focus...!

It was a very enjoyable night, and there was something really fun about hearing familiar 'popular' pieces played by a symphony. The conductor, Anthony Inglis, was wonderful too - very interactive and really an attraction in his own right.

Boots

Or alternatively phrased, the onset of truly autumnal weather. I don't have pictures of the weather, but I do have pictures of the boots I was able to wear because of it.

Pictures in two lighting options, in fact, because it was rather challenging to get black ribbon on black boot to come out.



I love the black ribbon.


Over-day oats with applesauce and yoghurt

I am obsessed with this at the moment. Plain nonfat yoghurt with apple sauce and oats, thrown together at some stage early in the day (or pre-work, on a work day) and eaten at lunch or in the afternoon, has been happening a lot.

Sometimes even with chocolate chips.


With yoghurt to use up before I went away, last night it even happened at dessert (although sadly, in a chocolate chip free way).

What are you up to this Sunday / weekend?

19 comments:

  1. Hmmm, parramatta is a bit of a shift from coogee! I hope it's a good couple of days for you... and nice boots girl!!!
    My Sunday evening is re-organising furniture... not as fun as I originally thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, Parramatta is a bit different, yes ;) And re-organising furniture is one of those things I think I'll love, until I start and get quite overwhelmed about it. It's so often so hard!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your time in Sydney. Love the boots. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great boots! We went to the markets, planted some things in our garden, then had a few people around for drinks and cake, since it's a public hol tomorrow in QLD. A lovely way to spend Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lovely way indeed! I hope you enjoyed the public holiday too :)

      Delete
  4. how fun that you went to that concert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. enjoy your trip - glad you had a nice night out with Mr Bite before heading off. I am sad too that your conference is not in Melbourne or I might have been able to coax you away for a coffee!

    Are you having lots of fun playing with the settings on your camera - I try to use my manual settings occasionally but usually feel all thumbs - but it is amazing what a difference the settings make in those photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have been easy to coax for that coffee :)

      I will confess to being lazy with my camera of late - lots of photos in 'auto intelligent' mode (whatever that even is!), but times like Friday night make me realise how much control I have in the settings. I do love playing with them when I do it, but need to remind myself to keep doing so.

      Delete
  6. Those boots are fabulous!! Love them!
    That concert looks like a blast! Gotta love Indiana Jones. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen - I love the Indiana Jones music too!

      Delete
  7. Kari you are so close to eating muesli, you just have to give it a try!

    Those boots are fab. I don't think I could manage toes that pointy though, I just know I would manage to kick myself with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr B is a bit wary of my feet when I wear those boots ;)

      I am right on the cusp of muesli. I sense a revelation happening with it before too long! I just need to try it :)

      Delete
  8. HOT BOOTS. I can't live without boots; I wear them all year round (blame my sucky circulation and ever-cold toes). I just had to buy a new pair because my old ones had worn down to the point that every time it rained, my socks were immediately wet from the ground :P

    I'd have loved to go to that concert! I have all the Harry Potter sheet music :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Harry Potter part was pretty impressive :) But then, so was all of it. And yes, I think you were well in need of new boots! Wet socks are no fun at all.

      Delete
  9. Great boots! :) I am a huge Harry Potter fan, so I would love that part! I bet it was just amazing to hear all of it. I love that kind of music.
    Um yeah..... the yogurt, applesauce, oats and chocolate chips looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was amazing hearing it live - so different to recorded!

      Chocolate chips in yoghurt really does something amazing to the mix :)

      Delete
  10. i will jump in and agree those are some awesome boots...u'll be looking hot! :) sounds like fun at the orchestra, and i've seen most of those movies and would have loved to be able to pick them out as they were played.
    safe travels and i hope that it all went well and u were spared any delays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cait! Fortunately we were delay free.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).