Sunday, October 23, 2011

Raspberry and white chocolate muffins, for my parents

My parents have been in Victoria since last Wednesday, in order to attend my grandmother's funeral and spend time with my Dad's family. With them leaving half way through one work week, arriving back just in time to leap into the next, and not travelling for the most enjoyable of reasons...well, I wanted to give them something nice to return home to.

Flowers and fruit was one component.

These muffins were the other.







They are adapted from The Australian Women's Weekly 'Muffins' cookbook. I can't recall when I bought the book (the price on the front says $3.85, which suggests it was long enough ago for inflation to have hit!) but it has been very well used over the years, and I have made these muffins a number of times.

The cover image is even of the original white chocolate and berry muffin that inspired today's product:



I don't usually post recipes directly from books, but as there are many, many raspberry and white chocolate muffin recipes out there, and the muffins I made didn't follow the recipe exactly, I thought I would make an exception today.

Raspberry and White Chocolate Muffins
Adapted from The Australian Women's Weekly 'Muffins' cookbook
Makes 12

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups self-raising flour
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 2/3 cup finely chopped white chocolate (if you wanted these to be vegan, you could use Sweet Williams dairy free white chocolate. I had intended to do this but the supermarket I visited when buying ingredients didn't stock it!)
  • 1 egg (I actually used egg replacer because I so rarely buy / use eggs)
  • 125g butter, melted (I used nuttelex)
  • 150g plain or vanilla yoghurt (I used soy vanilla)
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 cup frozen raspberries




Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 200'C (400'F) and prepare at 12-pan muffin tray.

2. Combine flour, sugar and chopped chocolate in a large bowl.

3. In a smaller bowl, combine melted butter, egg (or egg replacer), yoghurt, vanilla essence and the tablespoon water.

4. Add the wet mixture into the dry and stir to combine. Add the raspberries and stir through.

5. Spoon mixture into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.


I usually dislike white chocolate, but even I enjoy it in these muffins. There's something about the flavour combinations and the pairing of berry and white chocolate that works incredibly well.



Amongst other things, the original recipe calls for buttermilk and not yoghurt, uses multiple types of berry, and suggests pressing berries into the top of the muffins rather than mixing them through the batter. I've made it the original way and with several variations and the end result always turns out well.



 Not having used this book since I started experimenting with vegan baking, I am now motivated to go through and re-create other recipes without eggs or dairy. I think it will be rather a fun process...

Do you have a favourite baking recipe, or one that can always be relied upon?

22 comments:

  1. I have many favourites - many of them including chocolate - I don't use raspberries as much in baking as I think I should - love the look of these muffins - am sure they cheered your parents

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the white choc + raspberry combination!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *hugs hugs* I know your parents will/would have appreciate not only the deliciousness of these muffins but the love and support they represent. Hope you're feeling okay, darling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure your parents appreciated these muffins hugely. There is nothing quite like comfort food at an emotionally draining time. Hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would like to try this with blueberries as they are my favourite and i love anything white chocolate as well hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one of my favourite combinations. I love raspberry, white chocolate and coconut too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes forget about raspberries too, but when I rediscover them I always remember just how much I like them. Raw and frozen as well as in muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does seem to be a winning one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Hannah - I wish I could send some to you and your family too. Muffins aren't a big offering in the scheme of things, but sometimes they are all I have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Lisa :) There certainly is something to be said for comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blueberries would work wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. I can imagine it though, and it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum yum yum yum yum. Seriously, that looks beyond delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was playing with raspberries this week too :-) actually and chocolate. I don't usually buy them as they are expensive, but damn they taste good and combined with white chocolate yes please. They would have been lovely for your parents to come home to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ok going to TJ's tomorrow to get some organic raspberries and I'm making this! My parents will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kari,
    One of my favourite recipes was passed down from my great aunt - a simple plain vanilla cake with custard powder - we still all call it "Aunty Eilo's cake" - great to catch up on your blog. I'm trying hard to like quinoa, I really am!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember a similar overlap when we made Vietnamese spring rolls :-)

    I do wish berries were cheaper here. I sometimes think back fondly on the experience of multiple punnets of fresh berries for 1 pound, last time I was in England over their summer. Still, even frozen, they tend to given me sufficient enjoyment to counter the cost here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no, is it not your favourite? It's not obligatory! You can stick to beautifully marinated lamb and I'll stick to quinoa :P

    I like the sound of your Aunt's cake. Some of the best recipes are those simple ones handed down through generations.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These muffins look lovely - so chunky and colourful! You're making me crave white chocolate and raspberry :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been craving it since I made these actually!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).