Friday, October 21, 2011

Spinach, tofu and quinoa scramble

You know how some dishes look so attractive, you're sure they must taste delightful? And even if they don't, you're prepared to forgive them because they look so good?

This isn't one of them.



This is also a recipe that definitely would not have appeared on Australian dining room tables 50 years ago.

It is, though, a recipe that I think I will be making again.

Let me introduce you to the latest haphazard creation to come out of my kitchen...

Spinach, tofu and quinoa scramble

A lesson in looking past appearances
Makes ~3 serves

Ingredients:
  • 1 300g pack firm tofu, chopped (you could even use firm silken for this dish)
  • 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (about 1 1/2 cups cooked)
  • ~150g frozen spinach, defrosted
  • 1 medium carrot, chopped
  • 1 medium capsicum, chopped
  • 1/2 - 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, to taste (I used 1 tbsp and didn't find it too strong)
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, plus extra to serve
  • I didn't do this but I wish I did - 1 onion, diced


Instructions:

1. Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions, in a large saucepan.

2. Whilst it's cooking, saute the tofu, chopped, and capsium in a non-stick pan (at this point you would also saute your onion, if you were including this).


3. When the tofu is starting to scramble slightly, and the capsicum (and onion) are starting to soften, add the soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, nutritional yeast, carrot, and spinach. Combine. Stir occasionally over medium heat for about 5 minutes.

4. Add the tofu and vegetable mix to the cooked quinoa.


4. Stir occasionally over low heat for about 10 minutes.

5. Serve with extra sweet chilli sauce.

This might not have looked like a picture-perfect dish, but I found the flavours and textures to come together very well. What is more, one serve (one-third of the above recipe) provides over 20g of vegetarian protein! The spinach, tofu and quinoa are also all sources of non-haem iron.


Next time I definitely would add that onion, but I was highly satisfied with this impromptu combination. I didn't risk it on Mr Bite though, so I can't speak for anyone other than myself!



Do you experiment with random ingredient combinations? How do yours turn out?

12 comments:

  1. Yum - I love tofu scrambles - was told by E that dinner was a bit odd tonight - so I understand just why you don't always share your dinners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooooooooooooo yum that is my kinda dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill @ MadAboutMacaronsOctober 21, 2011 at 2:40 PM

    I love the title of this: scramble is just wonderful! Looks so tasty, healthy and colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I told you about my bowls of cold mashed tofu mixed with vegemite and nutritional yeast? Because, well, in asnwer to your question.... yes. Random ingredients for flavour amazingness is de rigeur at my place :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, those are exactly the sorts of comments that prompt me to sometimes have separate dishes! I'm glad I'm not the only one who receives such remarks :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jill - I will confess that the title was a bit impromptu (like the whole dish in fact...) but it did seem to fit :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teehee, I will confess that you came to mind as I spooned nutritional yeast into this :D But vegemite! I hadn't heard about the vegemite! Now I want to try that, although I think my version would have to be hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kari I think that looks lovely! I just googled scrambled tofu images to see how many people plate it up beautifully...it's tricky! Every time I've played, it usually looks like something one of my kids have decided that they didn't really want after all and returned it to the plate... via their mouth. Hmm, not to self, try cooking it differently. Will give yours a crack.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I giggled at your description of your plates :P And thank you for making me feel better about the appearance of this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally forgot to mention that I add tabasco too. Great minds think alike ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks great im going home to cook up some quinoa and see what i can make with it :)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).