Sunday, August 21, 2011

Blueberry Chai Smoothie


The other week, I tried a chai latte for the first time. I know, I'm only 5 years or so behind everyone else.

The thing is, I don't like coffee in latte form (too milky). And I've confirmed this year that I just don't like soy milk in tea or coffee (tastes wrong!). Thus, since trying to reduce dairy, I've tended to order herbal teas when out at cafes. I still have the odd cappuccino, but not often.

The cafe I was at last weekend didn't have chai tea, or many tea options at all. I didn't feel like coffee. My friend ordered a chai latte and I decided to try it, placing a soy order.

I don't know why I didn't think I would like this, given chai tea is one of my favourite drinks. As it turns out, I loved it. The soy milk worked fine, and I've since had a second chai latte that was even better than the first.


The result of this discovery is that chai has been on my mind. I've been drinking even more chai tea. And with almond milk to use up and a 23'C forecast, a chai smoothie seemed like a good way to start a weekend morning.

Blueberry Chai Smoothie
Makes 1 medium serve

Blend:
  • ~1/3 cup chai tea, cooled
  • ~1/2 cup - 3/4 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
  • ~1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  • Optional: ~1 tbsp oats (I didn't include oats, but would next time for added thickness and texture)



The chai flavour didn't stand out, but lent a certain depth to the overall taste. Subtle spice tones mixed with blueberries was just what I was looking for.

The smoothie wasn't super thick, and I would probably add the tablespoon of oats next time. However, on this particular occasion, I was in the mood for a drink smoothie rather than a spoon smoothie.



I served it with a side of chai tea, of course.

15 comments:

  1. my first brush with chai was in 2000. I had been up all night taking a train from Munich to Frankfurt, and then flying Frankfurt to Calgary. I had seen people riding the chai train and thought, "me, too!"

    Yeeeeah.

    Turns out, I don't much care for chai. Tastes like cleaner to me. But I know I'm in the minority on this one, and even *I* think your smoothie looks delightfully refreshing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (oh--PS: my story from my first time involved tears after tasting it, but since I was up all night it might have just been exhaustion, and not ONLY not loving chai. Oopsie on the details, S...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chai as well, lattes or tea. In with blueberries as well however? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only tried chai once - and that was years ago - must try it again and see whether I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant idea! I love chai spices, yet I'm the opposite to you - after having had long blacks only for years and years, I've suddenly decided that I like soy lattes :D

    P.S. I've never thought to add oats for thickness to smoothies! Have always just used chia...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog
    Your chai introduction doesn't sound positive at all! But as you say, lack of sleep may not have helped...lack of sleep never helps. It may not your drink though :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. @cityhippyfarmgirl
    They do seem to be a good pair, chai and blueberries. I'm now trying to think how to turn them into a muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lisa (bakebikeblog)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't been drinking them (although at least you had tried them!). I would recommend a repeat try though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Hannah
    Ah, funny. Maybe there's hope for me yet with soy coffee...although I suspect not for long blacks.

    Chia would work too, of course! But oats are cheaper, and they're always in my cupboard :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. you have inspired me - E has just fallen in love with chai so I bought a box of spices but he is fickle and going back to his hot choc so I was thinking I could use the spices in baking - had never thought to try it in a smoothie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coffee makes my stomach hurt, so soy chai lattes are my hot beverage of choice when I go to cafes. I love them so much. I can see how the flavours would go well with blueberry, too.

    I rarely make smoothies, but I always add oats - otherwise, I get so hungry really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Johanna GGG
    Could you try them in baking too? :) I would love to venture into baked goods with chai spices. But yes, smoothies do work rather well. Hopefully you can entice E back to spice one way or another, whether in liquid or baked form!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Theresa
    I must confess this didn't fill me up for long! I needed the oats for that as well as thickness :P Refreshing, but not filling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have made a chai breakfast cake from fat free vegan that is very good if you want a recommendation for baking with chai!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).