Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Spiced carrot and red lentil soup

I have made this soup four times now, which isn't bad going in the space of two months. It is a hit with all three of us and Mini Bite also enjoys helping me to make it. This is because I pull out the food processor for grating the carrots, and the NutriBullet for blitzing the soup later on, and what self-respecting toddler doesn't enjoy feeding carrots into a food processor and pushing buttons on things that whiz? These steps do make the soup more labour intensive than the chunky vegetable, non-pureed variety, but it is so tasty that I don't mind. Getting Mini Bite involved in the kitchen is a fun development too.


The soup itself is really simple and packs a hearty punch thanks to the lentils. You can play around with the spices and seasonings, and even throw extra vegetables in if you like. This mix is a winner in our household though.


Spiced carrot and red lentil soup
A delicious, satisfying soup that makes 4 generous servings


Blender or food processor needed

Ingredients
1 tbsp dried ground ginger
1 tsp mild dried ground chilli
1 tsp dried ground paprika
1 tsp olive oil
1 bunch leeks, trimmed and sliced
1 L (4 cups) vegetable stock
3 sticks celery, trimmed and sliced
600g carrots, grated (no need to peel)
1 cup dry red lentils
125ml (1/4 cup) unsweetened almond milk

Method
In a very large saucepan or soup pot, dry fry the ginger, chilli and paprika over medium heat for approximately 1 minute. Add the oil and leeks and saute for 2 or so minutes.

Add the stock, celery, carrots and lentils and bring the mix to simmering point. Stir, reduce heat to medium-low, and allow to cook, covered, for approximately 30 minutes (until the lentils are soft). Add the milk at the end and stir through.

Allow the soup to cool before blending in a blender or food processor. Reheat before serving.

Keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days.

Do you have a favourite soup recipe?

17 comments:

  1. Carrot soup is one of my all time favourites, especially enhanced with fresh herbs like coriander. Like that you have leeks in yours. So sweet to hear that you are getting Mini Bite involved in the kitchen. I am sure this will be a fun on-going development.
    PS Would you be interested in sharing it with #EatYourGreens challenge, I know you can't see the greens, but there are leeks and celery in the golden bowl of carrot soup.
    http://the-veghog.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/eat-your-greens-welcoming-march-recipes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! It didn't occur to me given the golden colour but I will follow your lead and add it in :-)

      Delete
  2. sounds lovely - I love red lentil in any soups and I love the idea of mini bite helping out - soon she will be making you dinner :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the appeal of getting machinery to do the chopping, so I can totally see why mini bite would enjoy it! It sounds like a really hearty, warming soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a lovely soup, and it's great that Mini Bite is getting involved in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful and warming. I love lentils in soup, they make it stretch a little more and make it more filling and hearty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious. I’m a big fan of lentils in soups and I love the addition of leeks. Glad mini bite is taking an interest in food preparation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's interested in all things food really :D

      Delete
  7. The soup looks lovely, it's one of my favourite combinations. Thank you very much for sharing with Eat Your Greens! It doesn't have to look all green, as long as there are greens in it. My dish last month was also less green. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful Shaheen alerted me to the possibility! Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Eat Your Greens round up for March is now on my blog: http://the-veghog.blogspot.fi/2018/03/eat-your-greens-march-round-up.html

      Thank you so much for your contribution! It was great that you took part and I hope to see your posts more often!

      Delete
  8. Looks soooo good! I love soups like that!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).