Tuesday, March 6, 2018

In my kitchen - March 2018

I am linking this into the monthly In My Kitchen round-up, hosted by Sherry of Sherry's Pickings.


I mentioned snow in my February IMK post and March has started the same way. Spring is yet to spring in the UK and last week brought the heaviest snow I've seen. My kitchen overlooked white scenes and a good foot of snow that lasted several days.


In the context of this cold weather, it is perhaps appropriate that my kitchen has also featured soup. I look forward to sharing recipes soon. More soup making was one of my 2018 aspirations and it is going well so far.

Spring might not be here yet, but we have started on hot cross buns. Marks and Spencer make some accidentally vegan apple hot cross buns that I love.


I am also very fond of the Divine range of dark flavoured chocolate bars. They have been on special in Waitrose and I bought the salted chocolate and ginger-orange chocolate varieties.


Waitrose also delivered re-packaged 'skinni' wraps by Deli Kitchen. I enjoyed these when they were released in 2017 but they then disappeared from stores for a while. They are back with new packaging but the same enjoyable taste and texture.


In my kitchen have been some dessert pots by Freak's of Nature - also bought on special, although they were still quite pricey at £1.50 each. My efforts to photograph them were interrupted by Mini Bite taking great interest in the proceedings.


In my kitchen is the book Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser. Did anyone else grow up loving the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder? This book offers behind the scenes insight into the reality of Laura's life, which was not always as settled or idyllic as her books.


Last but not least, my kitchen has featured a medal from the recent Tunbridge Wells half marathon. Building on my less preparation/faster time experience late last year, this race saw even less preparation and an even faster time. I finally managed a sub-2 hour time, coming in at 1 hour 58 minutes. Fortunately that day was aided by lovely sunny crisp weather to aid me round the course!


What is happening in your kitchen this month?

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the medal - I'm always so impressed by anyone that does that sort of running. I was just looking for vegan hot cross buns the other day, and couldn't find any, so I'm getting down M&S at the first opportunity. Thank you for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome :-) Tesco have some vegan ones too!

      Delete
  2. Are they one-a-penny two-a-penny? As in the Mother Goose rhyme?

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the snow held off for the marathon - great achievement! And mini bite looks so cute watching the snow. I am trying to hold off on hot cross buns but it is getting harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure once we're in the month of Easter, it's ok!

      Delete
  4. congrats on running the half marathon. that's wonderful. look at all that snow. we are still enduring heat and humidity here in brisbane. i think it's never going to end tho i did read that we are supposedly going to have a really cold winter. we shall see! yep loved laura ingalls wilder books. that book looks great. cheers and thanks for joining in IMK. sherry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be ready for some cold! I hope it cools down soon for you. Glad you enjoyed Laura's books too, they were such a wonderful part of my childhood reading :-)

      Delete
  5. Love the photo of Mini Bite at the window (and investigating the dessert pots). This has definitely been a season for big kettles of soup; comfort food and big-batch cooking all in one pot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow all that snow. My boys really want to see snow, they never have and they are 13! One day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be all the more exciting for them when they do eventually see it :-)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on running the marathon and the achievement. I remember seeing those apple hot cross buns at M&S last year and was tempted, i will try them this year now that you have reminded me. As for the snow, yes - we had 3 foot of it and its still melting. Adore the photo of minibite staring out the window. Hoping to join in IMK but may not this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are obviously colder in Wales than here! Still melting - goodness. I hope you get some signs of spring soon.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on finishing the half marathon in a faster time. Apple hot cross buns sound delish. The photo of Mini Bite gazing at the snow is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info on Prairie Fire. I'm adding it to my to read list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks rather chilly there. I am not a fan of snow. Soup always helps though ;)
    I love when things are accidentally vegan!
    I like those Divine bars, I haven't tried the salted one yet - it sounds delicious.
    Look that cute little Mini Bite hand =D
    It's funny, I watched the show Little House on the Prairie, but never read the books.
    "this race saw even less preparation and an even faster time." It's funny how that works. I'm starting to notice that with less preparation, I'm quicker as well. I think it helps not to worry about it so much too.
    And congrats on the sub 2-hour half!!! I did my first one this year too. Yay us =D =D =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay us indeed! It feels like such a milestone getting under 2 hours :D

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).