Saturday, November 5, 2016

In my kitchen - November 2016

I am linking this in to the monthly In My Kitchen event, hosted by Lizzy of Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things.

Another month and another peek into my kitchen. November brings cold weather, dark evenings (daylight savings has ended) and Christmas items in shops (but not yet in my kitchen). It also brings lots of autumn colours and there are some gorgeous scenes around us.


To balance out the dark and cold days, November sees even more new vegan products in my kitchen. It is a good time to be vegan in the UK! The Linda McCartney range has several new vegan additions, including the pulled 'chicken' pictured below.


If I'm honest, I wasn't entirely sure about this, perhaps because I've never had traditional pulled chicken and wasn't entirely sure what to do with it. It also reminded me a bit of tuna due to the flaky texture. However, Mr Bite was very pleased with the stir fry I made with it (served with noodles) and it provides a change from other veggie protein options.

Pulled 'chicken' stir fry

Other new vegan items include Morrisons meat free burgers. We don't have a Morrisons close to us so I rarely get to sample their products, but I recently made an effort to visit a store for variety. In addition to the burgers below, which are authentically meat-like, I bought vegetable quarter pounders and some dairy free chocolate-vanilla ice cream cones. The cones were delicious; the quarter pounders were a little bland for my tastes.


To complement their new dairy free ice creams (featured in my October IMK post), Alpro have released some new dairy free puddings. I was very excited to try these as I thought they would be mousse-like. In fact, they are very similar to the Alpro puddings that have been around for a while. The new flavours are nice but not as exciting as mousses would have been to me.


Whilst difficult to justify buying (from a cost perspective), the new Tilda pulses and rice packets are very handy if I need to make lunch in a rush. I bought a variety of flavours when they were on special and liked them all, although the edamame variety was probably my least favourite. 


My kitchen has also featured some dishes made from cookbook recipes. This isn't as common as you would think as despite having some great cookbooks, I often make recipes up, completely overhaul cookbook ideas, or am inspired by things online. However, cooking with Mini Bite attached to me is aided by recipes and we recently enjoyed several dishes from Angela's first Oh She Glows cook book. The Soul-Soothing African peanut stew, pictured below, was one delicious example and even allowed me to sneak sweet potato, peanut butter and chickpeas past Mr Bite. If he's reading this, it's the first time he'll discover just what was in the 'satay stew' I served him! We also enjoyed Angela's creamy vegetable curry.

Oh She Glows African peanut stew

In addition to cookbook meals, my kitchen has featured the tried and true staples I make regularly. Tofu stir fried with Asian vegetables, ginger and soy sauce is one...


...and more porridge bowls are another. The bowl below is a carrot cake mix I loved so much I posted it to Facebook. It's definitely my favourite carrot cake porridge ever! (The mix included 1/3 cup of oats with 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/3 cup pineapple juice, 1/4 cup pineapple pieces, 1 small banana chopped, 1 small carrot grated, 1 tbsp sultanas, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp cinnamon.)


My kitchen has also featured my brother, visiting from Australia, which has been exciting. It's his first time meeting Mini Bite and the first time we've seen him since we moved to the UK over 2 years ago. He flies home again tomorrow but it's been lovely having him around whilst here. We've managed to take in lots of autumn scenes, on mostly fine days.

Not in my kitchen but November-esque.

What is happening in your kitchen this month?

27 comments:

  1. Lots of interesting food and nice to see your autumn photos. I think of pulled chicken and pork as featuring in those fancy sandwiches and kebabs/tacos but otherwise would be scratching my head at the products. I like the sound of your carrot cake porridge. I haven't heard of the tilda packets - are they ones you just heat up with some flavoured pulses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just microwave the tilda packs :-) They used to just do flavoured rice sachets but the new ones have rice / grains and pulses.

      I tried a sandwich with the leftover pulled chicken and it worked well!

      Delete
  2. Your vegan pulled chicken product sounds interesting, Kari. I haven't seen those Tilda products either. Are they new? Thank you for the very kind shout out. Happy November xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy November to you too :-) And yes, the Tilda packs are new, although I don't know if they are in Australia yet.

      Delete
  3. I love peeking inside your kitchen. I love the look of the peanut stew - looks hearty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's hard to think of you being in cold dark england when we are heading into a long hot summer here. 34C all week coming up! interesting things in your kitchen Kari. Pulled chicken is a new one on me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 34'C is hard to imagine right now! It's a time of year where the seasons are very different in the different hemispheres :-)

      Delete
  5. Your fall photos have nice lighting -- the sloping sunshine at this time of year is very photogenic. You appear very adventurous with vegetarian packaged food.
    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's a lot of good looking stuff, I hope we get the Linda Mc pulled veg chicken here because it looks very interesting (I like the sausage rolls but the new version of the sausage rolls are not very nice IMO). I've made that Oh She Glows peanut stew too and it was yum though I think I increased the flavourings a bit. I also have loads of cookbooks and bookmarked recipes but always fall back to those things I know by heart! Still, I keep buying more cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a problem, isn't it, the cookbook buying!

      Delete
  7. I have been using Jackfruit for pulled Pork veggie recipes, need to try Linda Mc, but like you I don't really know what the 'real stuff is like'. Your right the autumn colours around us are a marvel. I keep wishing to go out and take pictures, but when the w/e comes, I want a long lie in and stay warm indoors - working long hours now make me want to just kip. I've seen the oh she glows cookbook in the library will have to bring it home one of these days. Enjoy your time with your brother, i think the weather has been relatively good this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were really fortunate with the weather for his visit :-)

      Delete
  8. You've certainly got some interesting vegan products there - a nice haul for this month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kari, that carrot cake porridge bowl sounds like the perfect day starter... something that'll "stick with ya." Loved your Autumn pics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the variety of packaged vegan products available to you. I've never tried the real version of pulled anything, but I imagine the stir fry would be delicious, as would sandwich fillings. Lovely to have family visiting too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, family visits are definitely appreciated when we are so far from them!

      Delete
  11. What a great variety of vegan products, the African peanut stew sounds delicious. I love the mixing of Autumn pictures in with the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz, and I can definitely recommend the stew.

      Delete
  12. That first picture is so pretty!
    Linda McCartney makes food for sale? That's pretty cool!
    Your kitchen looks very fun - I especially like the look of the Tilda packages.
    Don't you love the Oh She Glows cookbook? Have you tried the Life Affirming Nacho dip? It is seriously amazing!
    I hope you enjoyed the time visiting with your brother - I bet he loved meeting Mini Bite =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried that dip, so thanks for the recommendation! Something to get to soon :-)

      The Linda McCartney range is great and it's interesting to hear it isn't in the states. I guess it is a UK brand and you have lots of US options we don't have.

      Delete
  13. Carrot cake porridge sounds fantastic, I might have to steal that idea sometime. Your autumn pictures are beautiful. The colors are just now coming to us in the southern United States, how I love this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your US colours can be so impressive - enjoy them!

      Delete
  14. Linda McCartney vegan food range, as in Beetles Paul McCartney, is something I've never heard of before. Love the rice and beans packet mixes, they seems like a great idea Kari. Love your Autumn views too, see you next month for IMK
    https://missfoodfairy.com/2016/11/04/in-my-kitchen-november-2016/

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).