Friday, November 25, 2016

Easy ingredient mixes (two sweet, two savoury)

If there is one good thing about being sick, it is that feeling well again (even partially well, as in my case at present) feels pretty amazing. Another is that illness can lead you to lazy food shortcuts that actually work very well. I'm sharing four such examples today.


The first is an incredibly simple stir fry using tinned bamboo shoots, fresh baby corn, fresh tenderstem broccoli, about a tablespoon of soy sauce, and about a tablespoon of pureed packaged ginger. You could throw some other vegetables in there as well, and the mix pairs well with all sorts of accompanying proteins and grains.



The second is chocolate avocado pudding, but made using a lazy person's approach. Basically, you just mush everything in a bowl without bothering with a food processor or blender! In the bowl above I used half an avocado, a tablespoon of cocoa powder and two tablespoons of Choc Shot syrup. Unlike versions made with a processor, you will know avocado is in this. However, the flavours are still pure chocolate decadence and blueberries topped my bowl off perfectly.

The third, unphotographed, discovery was burritos made with yellow split peas instead of beans more commonly associated with Mexican fare. Mr Bite expressed a preference for our usual kidney bean or black bean burrito fillings but I really liked this alternative. Somehow the split peas made good friends with salsa and contributed to a hearty burrito mix with onion, grated carrot, pepper and spinach.


Finally, white (or more accurately, double) hot chocolate. Christmas brings a whole host of additional dairy free white chocolate options, and whilst white chocolate isn't usually my thing, sometimes I hanker after it. Pairing warm almond milk with a tablespoon of cocoa powder and a couple of dairy free white chocolate coins (or squares of white chocolate), topped off with boiled water, makes for a delicious drink. The white chocolate gives just enough sweetness and gives a mellow mix with the cocoa powder.

What easy ingredient mixes are you enjoying at the moment?

7 comments:

  1. Stir fry is my go to when I am in a hurry. I think the burritos sound delish with beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stir fry is such a versatile quick approach - glad it works for you in a hurry too.

      Delete
  2. I bought a taco kit with seasoning and salsa (sylvia begged for the mini tacos) so have been using the seasoning for simple refried beans. I like the sound of your burrito and I always like to feel I can get by without a food processor like in your pudding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the mini tacos and stand up shell tacos that come in kits could be bought separately! I keep wanting to try some myself but don't have Sylvia to convince me to give in to a kit. I'm glad the seasoning is working for you in refried beans.

      Delete
  3. I like the sound of the white chocolate drink in particular - I don't really eat a lot of white chocolate, but as soon as winter hits, I need to start drinking as much hot chocolate as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried burritos with split peas but it sounds amazing. I'm a huge fan of Mexican but definitely I'm a burrito or soft taco girl. I can't get the hang of eating crispy shells neatly. The white chocolate drink sounds good! Glad you're feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the white hot chocolate sounds nice. My husband looooves white chocolate, but we have a hard time tracking down vegan white chocolate.
    The "lazy" pudding sound good too. Sometimes I really can't be arsed to get out the food processor that keep up in the cupboard all the way above the fridge.
    The stirfry sounds good too! Although I'm not sick, I'm feeling some holiday laziness and need quick, easy meals ;)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).