Monday, March 5, 2012

Sculptures by the sea

At Cottesloe beach (the same beach featured in my February recap) there is an annual event known as Sculptures by the Sea. For around 3 weeks in March, the beach features a variety of art works that sit in among sun bathers, picnickers, playing children, and bather-clad swimmers. Artists submit their work to the event and the creations vary considerably in style, size and materials.


The Sculpture by the Sea concept actually started in Sydney in 1997. It stemmed from the creator, David Handley, wanting to  provide a free public visual arts event. The Western Australian Cottesloe equivalent started in 2005.

Mr Bite and I went for the first time last year, and exploring the sculptures proved to be a very enjoyable experience. You can buy a guidebook, but we didn't, and deciphering the sculptures (or not, depending on how complex they are...) is really part of the fun.

On Saturday afternoon, we went to look at this year's display. I managed to take 120 photos over the course of the hour (how? why?!) so here are just some of the selection...



Footballer taking a mark
A sandbag lounge room, complete with bookshelves in the walls







These little yellow things popped up everywhere...








This was a favourite...



All in all, a lovely afternoon - helped by a relaxed atmosphere with lots of people looking at the sculptures (as reflected in the crowded pictures above) and others just going about their usual beach business.

Do you have many free art-related events? Have you ever been to a similar outdoor sculpture collection?

My last two posts have discussed weather-related matters but I have been watching the flooding in the Eastern states with some dismay, and wanted to send dry (and safe) thoughts to anyone affected.

15 comments:

  1. I love great outdoor sculpture - the proportions are often so much larger and the settings are often great. We had a sculpture exhibition at Werribee Park Mansion that we went to a few times and I loved it but it was expensive to go to and it has now closed - I think there might be a sand sculpture one in Frankston but it is a long way from us. I love the red shivering man too - it was the one that I had to go back and look at carefully when scrolling down the pics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the setting is a big part of it - it's so different to being in an art gallery or some such! It would be nice if there were more free versions around, it's quite an accessible event too, especially for those with children.

      Delete
  2. I like the red, skinny guy, too..
    There are tons of free art events everywhere in my city- it kind of prides itself for being hip, artistic, and enviro-friendly. (It gets a little ridiculous.) I don't ever go to them, though.
    We have one called, "First Thursday" which is just a night (..the first thursday of every month) full of art and beer and food put on by this one particularly hip street in the city. There's another called, "Last Thursday" plus 400000 different festivals/ events every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to live in a city like that, but I suspect I'd be the same as you and not actually go to things! I rarely make it to events at our annual international arts festival, which is a shame really because there are good things. I need to make more of an effort. In your case, though, I suspect 400000 odd events would get a bit overwhelming, aside from anything else!

      Delete
  3. Love your photos! It looks like a really interesting exhibition. They all look great although I do love the sandbag lounge room and the tap looks fantastic too. I haven't been to an sculpture exhibition like this but have enjoyed visiting a few gardens in Victoria and NSW that have permanent sculptures there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to sit in the sandbag lounge room :) Sadly, too many others thought the same and it was just too crowded. It was a great idea by the artist though.

      Delete
  4. oh these are so fun to see! I once saw lots of amazing sandcastles in Brazil- it was so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were they on Copacabana beach? Those were seriously the most amazing sandcastles I've ever seen!

      Delete
    2. Between the two of you, I now want to go sandcastle viewing in Brazil!

      Delete
  5. Oh, they look great... I especially like the red boy and the tap. I can understand how you took so many photos in an hour.
    I never seem to get to the one here, crazy as it's on my door step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it took me 6 years to make it to the Perth one, so you may manage it yet ;) Funny how these things slip under the radar no matter how appealing they are in theory!

      Delete
  6. Every year I aim to get to sculpture by the sea in Sydney and every year I don't manage it. Photos like these make me realise that I really need to do it! What a lovely way to spend a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was - I hope you make it to the Sydney one eventually :)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous KaRI and not sure what we have in Qld...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz :) You certainly have the beaches in Qld, it would be nice to think you might get sculpures at some stage too?!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).