Sunday, February 12, 2012

Peppermint carob truffle balls

Sometimes I make something that is so perfectly aligned with my tastes, I can't understand why I haven't made it before.

Something that doesn't need a real recipe, or forward planning. Something that uses ingredients I always have to hand, in quantities that I am used to mixing together.

These peppermint carob truffle balls are a perfect example.


Easy to make, the short ingredient list works to give a product that delivers in taste and in texture.

If you like carob and peppermint, I think you will like these.

Peppermint carob truffle balls
Makes ~16
Vegan

Ingredients
2/3 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup carob powder*
1 tsp peppermint essence (or use 1/2 tsp if you just want a slight mint flavour)*
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp dessicated coconut
~1tsp water, or as needed to think out the mixture

*If you don't like carob, cocoa would work fine
*If you don't like mint, sub in vanilla

Method
Combine the almonds and dates in a food processor. Process until ground and starting to clump together.

Add the carob, peppermint essence, maple syrup and coconut to the almond-date mixture, and process until smooth and the mixture holds together. Add water if needed.

Roll the mixture into 16 balls. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and set in the fridge for at least 1 hour (or in the freezer if you can't wait that long). 



Caroby.

Minty.

Smooth and incredibly delicious.


These have to be in my top 5 favourite truffle balls to date. 


As a bonus, if you move from making these to making banana softserve without cleaning your food processor,  you can have banana peppermint carob icecream, which tastes hardly of banana but very nicely of mint and carob.


A win-win outcome, I think.

After re-discovering these in April 2013, I am sending this recipe to Ricki's Wellness Weekend, 18th to 22nd April 2013, and Raw Foods Thursdays 18th April 2013.

Have you enjoyed any impromptu dishes lately? 
How do you feel about carob?

17 comments:

  1. I've never had carob powder, but I've had the carob chips a few times and I am not a huge fan. I'm not really sure what the benefit of carob is over cocoa?
    I had the chips as a vegan because most chocolate chips had milkfat in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there are particular health benefits; carob powder is caffeine free but caffeine in chocolate doesn't really bother me. I think more carob products are made without sugar (and without artificial sweeteners) but I have carob just because I like it :-)

      Delete
  2. Love carob, but still can't cope with peppermint after my failed candy cane rice pudding attempt. But would definitely try these with almond extract!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually went back to find your candy cane rice pudding post. I can understand why you may now be averse to mint :P These would definitely work with almond extract though!

      Delete
    2. AAAAH!!! I refuse to even look at that post myself; the photos are so bad in old posts! :P

      Delete
  3. I avoid mint with chocolate - odd because I loved choc mint combination as a kid and when I have it I often like it - yet I don't even have any peppermint essence in the fridge - so I know what you mean when things unexpectedly make sense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the opposite - chocolate mint didn't really appeal to me as a child or teenager, but now I love it. Funny how tastes change!

      Delete
    2. You can always try cooking/baking with Peppermint DoTERRA oil. Just a few drops make a huge impact and it doesn't have the funky alcohol or sweetness to it.

      Delete
  4. I'm ashamed to say that I don't like carob! I bought a huge container of it assuming I would love it but I just couldn't get into it.

    Those peppermint balls look delish! I'm sure I could make them with cocoa powder instead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You most certainly could :) I'm always interested when people don't like carob - although I think a lot of people approach it as an alternative to chocolate, and it really isn't very good at that. I like it as well as chocolate ;)

      Delete
  5. Clearly I'm tired or I need glasses, as I'm sure you title said Peppermint Crab Truffle Balls! (Now wouldn't that be a taste sensation.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it would indeed!

      I think you can blame pregnancy brain :)

      Delete
  6. Mmmm looks great Kari!!! xD I love carob as you can see, and especially in health foods like these, or oatmeal!! I'm thinking of making some kind of muffin/cake made of carob sometime~when I find the time? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, time is so often the challenge! It's great to have a fellow carob lover - I like it in oatmeal too :) Your idea of a muffin or cake sounds great.

      Delete
  7. Oi I haven't made truffle balls in ages (I like your terminology for them!)
    Something tells me I need to break out the food processor this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love carob. I'm one of those who doesn't use it as a carob substitute. I just love the taste of it. These truffle balls are calling my name! They sound like a happy taste of Christmas. Please come share them at Raw Foods Thursdays!

    http://www.glutenfreecat.com/2013/04/raw-foods-thursdays-41813/

    Have a great weekend!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing this at Raw Foods Thursdays! I LOVE this recipe!!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).