Friday, November 4, 2011

Raw homemade coconut chocolate butter with chilli and goji berry

Remember this post about the forgotten delights and raw food products of Fremantle?

In particular this raw coconut chocolate butter with chilli?




Since trying this amazing but rather expensive spread, I have wanted to try making it at home.

This week was it.

Only five ingredients are required (six if you count water) and the process takes about 30 minutes, most of which is the food processor working whilst you do something else. Or while you watch impatiently, whichever appeals to you more.

My version had a certain rustic appearance that wasn't quite the same as the picture-perfect smoothness of the original Cocopure product. However, I can say with some confidence that it was just as enjoyable to eat.


Don't take my word for it though. Try it, and then let me know!


Raw homemade coconut chocolate butter with chilli and goji berries

Adapted from the Cocopure ingredients list
Makes about a cup (approximately, I didn't actually measure)

Ingredients:
  • 70g (1 cup) moist coconut flakes
  • 20g (1/4 cup) goji berries
  • 35g (1/2 cup) good quality raw cocoa (or regular cocoa if you don't care about the raw aspect)
  • 1/4 tsp chilli flakes, or chopped dried red chilli - more if you want it to be very spicy
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • About 2 tbsp water, or as needed to smooth things out




Instructions:

1. Process the coconut in a food processor until it starts to liquefy - about 10 minutes. This would take longer if your coconut wasn't the moist variety, but you could also add a dash of coconut oil to help things along.



2. Add the goji berries and process for another 5 minutes or so, until they are well processed and the mixture turns orangey.


3. Add the cocoa, chilli flakes and vanilla and continue processing, adding the 2 tbsp water in small amounts. I did 10 minutes of processing and then let the food processor have a break for 20 minutes or so (I was worried it would over-heat), before doing another 5 - 10 minutes.

I could probably have continued processing for a bit longer and got a smoother finish, but I didn't feel the need (and didn't have the patience...). You could though, if smoothness is your thing.





4. Store in an air-tight container or jar at room temperature.




This tasted incredibly close to the original. As noted, it wasn't as smooth, and I think it was a little more chocolatey and a little less chilli-y. The goji berries aren't really detectable in the Cocopure version or in this one, although I suspect I'd notice if they were taken out. The coconut is definitely present, but it isn't strong.

There were also two ingredients in the Cocopure ingredient list that I didn't end up including - because I completely forgot! They were salt and agave syrup, and whilst I can honestly say I didn't miss them, I will probably try including them next time for comparison purposes. I don't think I'd want more than a teaspoon of agave, though, as I didn't think this needed sweetening.




All in all, I was very happy with how this turned out. The smell and taste are incredible, the ingredient list is short, and the process is easy - and certainly cheaper than store-bought.

Plus, this way, you get to lick the bowl.

13 comments:

  1. yummo! lovely flavour combination indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you usually eat this Kari? I can't quite imagine how I would use it, but that might be because I don't usually eat sweet spreads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This stuff just intrigues me! And excellent that you were able to replicate it too.
    ...and psst, your photos are looking awesome with your new camera :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! The flavours do seem to get on rather well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a tad embarrassed to admit that the first thing that came to mind when I read this was "with a spoon". Such frivolities aside, I have used this the same way I use almond butter - which is almost never as a spread on bread or crackers. My two favourites would be...

    1) With fruit. I particularly like slicing up an apple and putting a teaspoon of this on top of the pile. Bananas also work well when they're affordable, and strawberries go delightfully with the chocolate here.

    2) On plain yoghurt. This might sound a little odd. But I like the completely plain, unflavoured, pot set yoghurt and this seems to pair well with it (again, I'd usually use a teaspoon or so for a bowl, so just a little).

    I have even had a teaspoon on a bowl of vanilla soy ice cream, but that was almost too decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, thank you! That made my day - I'm quite thrilled it's noticeable :) It will be funny over the next few weeks, as my new posts / photos get weaved in with those I have taken and not yet blogged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad someone asked about where to use it - it reminds me of Nutella for grown ups (yum!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!!!! You go girl! I'm really intrigued by the moist coconut, because I always thought that that was the reason my first attempt at making coconut butter failed (and made my parents' food processor smoke :P ) I've always used dried ever since, but am excited to think the moist sweetened version does work! You're amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful description - exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness. I am so glad I didn't know (or didn't remember) your smoking food processor story whilst I was doing this!! I think I would have skipped over it in favour of dried too if I had - smoke is not what I aim for when processing :-/ How disconcerting!

    Also - thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow this looks great - I just admire people who have such patience with food processors - I sometimes feel mine isn't up to the job but maybe I just don't let it go long enough

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).