Monday, March 21, 2011

Monday-itis

I don't usually mind Mondays, or at least not in my current job, but today started with a general sense of doom. Or if not doom (that may be a touch melodramatic), a reluctance to get up and face the week.

Fortunately, there are two things that are guaranteed to at least partially lift my spirits: exercise and coffee. The former is a fairly core part of my morning routine, with weekdays seeing me hit the gym at 6am. What I do once I'm there varies, and is often not as challenging as it could be (i.e., I do the same thing I always do, and don't push myself to go harder, faster or further!), but it does help with boosting my mood and providing morning energy.
Coffee is a reliable method of doing the same, although I've undertaken a strange dance with the drink in 2011. Strangely, I started feeling nauseus after drinking instant coffee. I appreciate this isn't the highest quality substance in existence, but it has never prompted nausea before. Purchased coffee (with milk) didn't have the same effect, but I was reluctant to buy a coffee everyday. It seemed akin to drinking close to $20 per week. I also started thinking about the fact I really relied on coffee to get going, which bothered me. And so I decided to cut back, and drink it on half of the days of the week.

This seemed to work well, and increasing my tea intake meant the change wasn't overly challenging. At least at first. Last week, however, I fell asleep on the sofa at 8.30pm on two occasions. I have felt my concentration drifting at work on several other occasions, and felt listless and flat more often than I would have liked. Lack of coffee or something else? Who knows, but I discovered through chance that instant coffee no longer (or at least currently) induces nausea, providing I mix enough milk in. So I suspect that my once per day coffee may be back on.

This morning, at least, my takeaway coffee really hit the spot!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).