Saturday, June 4, 2011

Garden update

It's now been a month since I re-planted my vegetable patch. I've been happily monitoring the progress of the seedlings and seeds, and after taking photos at planting, 2 weeks later, and today, 4 weeks later, I'm able to see just what has changed.

At the start of May:


 Lettuces, spinach, bok choi and leek seedlings, with coriander in front

Two weeks in (mid-May):

Lettuces growing, bok choi (right) sprouting
Today:


Some bites / holes in the lettuce, but definitely looking bigger




Spinach and bok choi (left) and coriander (right)

There was also the seedling planter, which looked pretty empty a month ago: 

Snow pea and beetroot seeds, not yet visible

Two weeks in, there was a hint of what was to come:

Snow pea seedlings starting to sprout 

Beetroot (hopefully) on the way

And now? The beetroot seedlings don't look too different, but the snow peas are continuing to grow:



I'm really glad I remembered to take photos...my memory would have said there was a bit of growth, but not as much as the photos suggest. I hope the next 4 weeks are equally productive!



I have also finished two books in the past week or so: What the Dog Saw, by Malcom Gladwell, and Moab is my Washpot, by Stephen Fry. Both were non-fiction, with Gladwell's book containing a collection of essay-type pieces that were originally published in the New York times. Moab is Fry's first autobiography and covers his early childhood years through to the age of 18 or so. I actually went back to this book after reading his more recent, adult years autobiography (The Fry Chronicles) earlier this year. 



Slightly more detailed summaries are on my Books page, but in a snapshot I would term them both worthwhile reads :)

7 comments:

  1. Ah, interesting! I read "Blink" by Gladwell, and found it fascinating. Didn't realise he had a new one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! It is magical to see your seeds sprout and spring up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gardens! I just started a tiny one a few weeks ago and they're growing like crazy! I hope I get some little baby veggies soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hannah
    He does write great books. I haven't read Blink though - I'll have to add it to my To Read list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mrs Blok - The Bok Flock
    Thank you! It is pretty magical to watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Tori (Fresh Fruition)
    Aren't they the best? :) I've been following your new plants and progress with interest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at all those lovely garden happenings. If they are growing that much in the cooler weather imagine how much they will be growing come spring.

    Finally finished a book today. Hooray! One down, 345 to go...

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).