Sunday, January 7, 2018

In my kitchen - January 2018

I am linking this into the monthly In My Kitchen round-up, hosted by Sherry of Sherry's Pickings

It is surprisingly easy to write 2018. We are a week into the new year and I am enjoying the freshness that January brings, even as the festive atmosphere of Christmas fades and leaves us with dark mornings and nights that are unadorned by Christmas lights.

In my kitchen this month are old favourites and new products. Berries are high on the 'old favourites' list. With winter fruit options revolving around apples and citrus, they are a welcome alternative.


Also welcome is soup. I have recently discovered the refrigerated range of soups in supermarkets, many of which are vegan. Clearly they are not as good as homemade, but they are much nicer than tinned and very easy for a quick winter lunch. Mini Bite is now able to manage chunky soups on a spoon so they are a useful new lunch option for her too. Sainsbury's lentil dhal soup, pictured below, was a recent favourite and we also love the Glorious Indian cauliflower, chickpea and turmeric option.



Speaking of Mini Bite, near our main dining table is a new, small dining table and chairs. We got it for Christmas and Mini B enjoys rearranging the chairs and using the table for playing. We're yet to give her food there - I am not sure she'd stay seated through the meal - but in time it will be useful as an alternative to her high chair too.


When I first tried Tofoo tofu I didn't much like it, but it has grown on me over recent months. The texture is different to other brands I've tried, sort of softer and chewier simultaneously, but I like the flavour of these oriental style pieces.


Tesco is one of the few places I can still reliably find vegan falafel, and I recently spotted this Moroccan inspired version to try. I am intrigued by the apricot jam centre and have high hopes for them!


Another jammy presence in my kitchen is this peach and ginger jam that came in a Christmas gift hamper. I don't eat jam regularly but I am loving this while we have it.


It's been a while since I've showcased cereal, partially because I have fewer packets on the go now I'm mindful of toddler-friendly choices. For breakfast I almost always have porridge / oats or weetabix, but I enjoy this flakes and fruit mix for snacking.


In my kitchen is an assortment of yoghurts. I still love the Nush brand and the caramel and hibiscus flavour is probably my favourite yoghurt on the market. I am also enjoying Alpro's new mango yoghurt without added sugar. Not pictured, but also a kitchen staple, are the plain Alpro soya-coconut and soya-almond yoghurts.


What is happening in your kitchen this month?

16 comments:

  1. Peach and ginger jam is a really appealing flavor. Your kitchen looks so warm and welcoming! Have a great year in 2018.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Mae, and happy 2018 to you too!

      Delete
  2. I saw the tofoo recently at Tesco, but did not go for it. I may try it. I like falafels but D does not so much, I am intrigued by these with the filling. Happy New Year to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the filling in the falafels but Mr B was not a fan - hard to say if D would like it more or less than usual falafel if he's not big on them!

      Delete
  3. The tofoo sounds interesting - and those soups sound like good quick meals. I love the little table and chairs - must be lots of fun for mini bite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, if stressful for me sometimes as I watch her clamber on and off in most unusual ways!

      Delete
  4. With you on the Tofoo and the caramel and hibiscus, both definitely get the thumbs up from me! Peach and ginger jam does sound good. I don't each much jam, but I'm a sucker for a more interesting flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the berries and Mini Bite's table. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The jam looks really good! Soups are a staple in our house during the winter months, so easy to make and chock full of veggies and beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get my act together, soup wise ;)

      Delete
  7. What a sweet pint sized table, I think she will get lots of enjoyment from it. And that jam looks delicious, wonderful combination peaches and ginger. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy new year Kari. thanks for being part of IMK during the busy Christmas break. i read the other day that tofu has gypsum in it?! kind of put me off a bit:) they make plaster walls with it too. eek! anyways....have a great 2018 cheers sherry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely no gypsum! How very funny. Or, perhaps, some brands do but not the ones I have come across - that would be very off putting!

      Happy 2018 x

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).