Sunday, November 26, 2017

Pumpkin oatmeal cookies {vegan + wheat free}

It is pumpkin season. I don't usually make many pumpkin recipes, because I am terribly lazy when it comes to buying (and carrying home), cutting up and cooking pumpkin. Tinned pumpkin is available in the UK, but it is generally imported from the US and thus quite expensive. All in all, pumpkin and I do not spend much time together in the kitchen.

This week, though, Tesco had tinned pumpkin on special. I picked up a tin and was pleased to use some of it for these biscuits - or cookies as I have termed them, building on the American tinned pumpkin theme.



These are minimally sweetened but sweet enough to taste like a cookie. They have a short ingredient list and banana rounds out the pumpkin to balance fruit with vegetable. They taste comforting and autumnal, and you can make them in under half an hour. I was very pleased with the result and recommend them to you wholeheartedly.


Pumpkin oatmeal cookies
Tasting of pumpkin spice, these chewy cookies are delicious warm from the oven or after cooling
Makes 16 or so medium-large cookies



Ingredients
1-1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice / pumpkin pie spice
1 medium ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup mashed pumpkin (tinned or home prepared)
3 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp golden or maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method
Preheat your oven to 175'C (350'F) and line a baking tray with non-stick paper.

Combine the oats, baking powder and spice in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the mashed banana, mashed pumpkin, peanut butter, syrup and vanilla, ensuring all ingredients are fully mixed.

Use your hands to shape approximately 16 cookies, spaced evenly on a large baking tray. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden and just firm to the touch (they will still be soft inside). Allow to cool before removing from the baking tray.


Are you a fan of baking with pumpkin?

8 comments:

  1. I love pumpkin in any sort of baking so these sound lovely - shame sylvia has taken a dislike to such a fine vegie! (BTW yes I did read Book of Dust and loved it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe these would disguise it enough for Sylvia ;)

      Delete
  2. These cookies look great! We're pumpkin-crazy in North America. We put it in EVERYTHING! But it's so yummy and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely the winners when it comes to pumpkin products :-)

      Delete
  3. I love pumpkin spice and pumpkin flavours, but I agree with you about all the faff associated with cutting it up and prepping it. These look gorgeous and so autumnal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - and I'm glad it's not just me who is lazy with the prep!

      Delete
  4. I hear you on the pumpkin effort - I am the same, though have just made a pumpkin cake from The Guardian. These cookies look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I think I saw that pumpkin cake recipe! It looked delicious so I hope you enjoyed it.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).