Tuesday, July 11, 2017

In my kitchen - July 2017

I am linking this in to the monthly In My Kitchen round-up, now hosted by Sherry of Sherry's Pickings.

Well. Hello. I didn't intend to drop off the blogging radar for a fortnight, although in hindsight I could probably have predicted it. The shift from maternity leave to work wasn't quite as monumental as the opposite transition a year ago (work to new motherhood), but it isn't far off. Time is short and time for blogging is not, if I am honest, at the top of my list.

Given all of this, I am pleased to be able to check in now and showcase my busy July kitchen.

Local strawberries, blackberries and cherries


In my kitchen, there is more summer fruit - now with local Kent cherries to complement the strawberries I have pictured in previous months. I also have wild foraged blackberries, the first of the crop that is steadily growing in our surrounding countryside.


I was also excited to buy gooseberries, but less delighted by their sourer-than-expected taste. I think they would have benefited from being turned into a pie with lots of sugar! I liked the sourness in small doses but confess to wasting some of the punnet because I didn't know what to do with them, and then they got too mushy to sensibly use. Does anyone have any advice?


In my kitchen were 'dragon egg' potatoes. This is Lidl supermarket's name for small purple potatoes. I loved the colour.


Has anyone else come across Weetaflakes? They are effectively a cross between Weetabix and Special K cereals. I liked them, but probably prefer Weetabix or Special K on their own.


Speaking of Weetabix, I have enjoyed some bowls with peanut butter powder and banana. It's a great combination. I would also recommend the book pictured above. My mother-in-law left it after her recent visit and it provided an enjoyable Swedish detective read.


My kitchen has seen some basic fallback meals that never fail. Above is a mix of grains with lentils, carrot, spinach, srircha sauce and pineapple. Below is chickpea scramble with red pepper, corn and kale.


My kitchen has also seen two repeat variations of my carrot cake pikelets (mini pancakes). They make good snacks for Mini Bite and for me.


Our weather has remained warm, albeit cooler than the very hot temperatures of June. I have enjoyed making more icey poles (and loved how many of you liked that Australian term for the treats!) - most recently, a mix with grated carrot, banana, peach and yoghurt. They weren't sweet enough for Mr Bite but were well received by Mini Bite and by me.


As our adult moulds were a bit of a challenge for Mini Bite's mini mouth, I have also bought her baby-sized moulds, which she adores. I suspect the cool treat is nice on teething gums too.


What is happening in your kitchen this month?

15 comments:

  1. ooh yes, growing up in Victoria, I too call them icy poles unlike queenslanders where i have resided as an adult for many years. they call them (you see, i still say 'they') ice blocks. What the?!:) yours look fabulous. thanks so much for joining in IMK. I have extended the deadline so I could add your post manually!d so it is up with the rest. cheers till next month and good luck with the back to work thing...x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for adding my post in :-)

      Ice blocks is most odd! Queenslanders!

      Delete
  2. Icy poles!!!! No-one ever knows what I am talking about here. Also an Aussie blogger but UK-based. :)

    Very glad I found you, I am enjoying your blog very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rachel - it is great to meet you too!

      Delete
  3. Good to hear from you. Simple meals, icy poles and berries sound like a good way to survive the heat and return to work. Dragon egg potatoes is a really cute name - I wonder if it helps young children to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Lidl know their marketing :-) They do seem to cater to children as they also sell small cucumbers marketed as 'snack cucumbers' plus various other child-friendly packs of small apples etc.

      Delete
  4. The adjustment of going back to work must be hard. I totally can see why blogging is not the top of your priorities. :)

    I've never had a gooseberry before. They sound interesting. Loving all of your tasty looking food. Those "dragon eggs" look so cool! I wish they labeled them like that here. So many more kids would want potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marketing can make such a difference sometimes!

      Delete
  5. Good to have a break from blogosphere now and again I think. I will have to pop into Lidls for those potatoes, I never go to Iceland, not because I am a snob, i just don't do much in the way of frozen food, but i saw some purple chips on someones blog, and thought i would like to try them out - they were not nice, almost like the chips had been dyed. I am sure these potatoes will be better in comparison. Good luck with easing back into work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I don't frequent Iceland either for exactly the same reason :-) Lidl does seem good for fruit/veg, albeit not always very much else.

      Delete
  6. Never get bored of hearing the name icey poles! I haven't had gooseberries for a million years! They used to be regularly in the supermarkets when I was a kid and I haven't seen them forever. Next time I do though, I'm definitely thinking a pie is in order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pie definitely sounds better than eating them plain :P

      Delete
  7. Icy poles is a fun name for those frozen treats! I completely understand the lack of time for blogging, lately it seems like the only posts I get published are the IMK posts. Aren't summer fruits just the best?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are :-) And I'm glad I'm not the only one so short on blogging time!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).