Saturday, December 17, 2016

Festive apricot spiced flapjack

Flapjack is something I think of making quite often, but actually make infrequently. I am not sure why. You only need one mixing bowl and there is no electric beating - two things I value in a sweet recipe. It is also an economical treat and oats pack more nutritional value than flour. Whatever the reason, though, I did make flapjack recently. I am consequently pleased to share this recipe with you.


This version is given a Christmas twist by the use of mixed spice and cloves. I am not sure if mixed spice is found worldwide but it is always in my kitchen. Most versions feature allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, cloves, coriander and ginger. You can easily make your own (example proportions are here) but I prefer to buy it because I don't usually have all of the individual spices. For this recipe I used mixed spice and extra cloves, which ups the spice deliciousness.

I had a hankering for dried apricots, but any dried fruit would work in this. If you do use apricots, I recommend chopping them more finely than I did. I cut mine into quarters but the relatively large pieces made it hard to cut neat flapjack squares. For the same reason, I recommend following others' advice and cutting your squares after cooking but while the mixture is still in your tin. I took mine out of the tin before cutting and the result was consequently a little bit messy!


This is effectively a half recipe as most flapjack recipes use 250g of rolled oats and proportionally more of the other ingredients. Feel free to double the quantities if you are catering to more people than I was.

Festive apricot spiced flapjack
Christmas spices warm up this oaty treat, whilst dried apricots add sweetness and texture
Vegan
Makes 12 small squares

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
125g traditional rolled oats
60g non-dairy spread or margarine
40g coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
1-1/2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp ground dried cloves
12 dried apricots, chopped

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C and prepare a loaf tin or small square baking tin.

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl (if using a microwave) or small saucepan. Heat gently on or over low heat until the spread / margarine has melted. Stir thoroughly.

Transfer the mixture to your prepared tin and press down, distributing evenly.

Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown. 

Cut into squares before removing from the tin!


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Are you enjoying any Christmas baking?

12 comments:

  1. Hello. These look gorgeous. What a great idea to make things a bit more healthy for Christmas. hope you are going well. Merry Chrsitmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tania, and Merry Christmas to you too.

      Delete
  2. Yummo, this sounds really good. Even better, it's made with things I always have in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always glad of recipes with ingredients I always have :-) Glad I could oblige for you here!

      Delete
  3. These sound delicious. I don't make flapjacks often enough - though I suspect it is because they so often fall to bits with me - never sure why but it does discourage - but you make me want to try again when you remind me how easy they are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always used to have them fall apart too but I think it's because I would reduce the margarine component! I've learnt my lesson :P

      Delete
  4. Oooh these sound great! I'm not sure I've actually ever had flapjacks before, but I'll have to give them a try. The apricot flavour would be lovely. Sounds easy to make too!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays - I'm pinning & sharing. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend Kari =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've always thought of flapjacks as pancakes but I guess I've never seen real flapjacks before! These look so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, flapjacks might be pancakes in the US! Food labels get so confusing sometimes across countries :-)

      Delete
  6. These sound great. I've always thought a flapjack was a pancake too, so I'm glad you've set me straight. Í have these ingredients to hand all the time so I'm keen to give it a go (incidentally, oats are a great galatagogue so I'm sure Mini Bite appreciates these too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I certainly get in plenty of oats for her benefit :-) As above, I suspect flapjack means a type of pancake in the US but I've always known them as these sorts of treats.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).