Sunday, April 5, 2015

In my kitchen - The Easter edition (April 2015)

I am linking this in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

Happy Easter weekend! Whether you celebrate the religious aspects or not, I hope you're that enjoying the long weekend if you have one, or just the weekend if you don't.


There are certainly signs of Easter in my kitchen. The UK has an amazing array of dairy free Easter chocolate, and I'm harbouring a 'bunnycomb' (honeycomb) egg and a bag of small 70% cocoa eggs.

 


 Mr Bite hasn't been forgotten and his egg stash includes a Waitrose caramel fudge egg, and some smaller chocolates, including some praline filled ducks which I find rather cute.


 In keeping with a spring Easter, there is a pot of yet-to-flower blue hyacinth flowers.


I have a new pot of fresh basil too. I gave up on fresh herbs over winter, but with daylight hours stretching longer and longer, it seemed time to bring them back.


At the risk of disgracing myself in the food blogging community, there are no homemade hot cross buns in my kitchen. I have, however, been enjoying the egg and dairy free apple hot cross buns from Marks and Spencer.



Do you remember when I bought low price but high air mile apricots? They weren't very sweet, and I thought I'd learnt my lesson about imported out-of-season fruit. Alas, I was taken in by a bowl of 5 mangoes from Peru for £1. I have learnt the same lesson over again. They are not very nice and I shall be turning them into something baked!

Lots of mangoes

In case I didn't have enough chocolate (ha), I bought a block back from Ireland that is in the kitchen waiting to be tried. I'm not sure if I like whiskey in chocolate form, but we will find out.


My kitchen also features salt and vinegar Peckish rice crackers, which were an exciting discovery when I placed my last online order with Ocado. I enjoyed the brand in Australia (albeit not quite as much as the Snakata brand), but haven't seen small flavoured rice crackers since we moved. It's been nice having these bags to draw on occasionally.


In my kitchen, there are also roasted vegetables. To me, they are appropriate to both Easter and long weekends. My mix includes potatoes, red onion, pepper, carrot and eggplant, seasoned with red wine vinegar and oregano.


Last but not least, my kitchen features paint fumes - not visible, but definitely there! The non-tiled parts of our bathroom were in need of freshening up, and two coats of white paint later, we are pleased to have done that.

What is happening in your kitchen this month?

27 comments:

  1. Happy easter kari. Your eggs look delicious - I am not sure if I am more amused by the bunnycomb or those cute little ducks. Apple hot cross buns sound delicious - no shame in buying these - I would be tempted too. It must be exciting to have rice crackers - I remember searching for them on our last trip to the UK and they don't fill half an aisle like in Australia. Nice to have some Butler's chocolate from Ireland. Hope you enjoy it and a bit of relaxation over the easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it odd the way flavoured rice crackers are so common in Australia yet so non-existent here?! I haven't figured out why, but am very glad to have found some.

      I loved the chocolate ducks too, which is why Mr Bite was given them ;)

      Delete
  2. Happy Easter Kari! Hope you're enjoying the long weekend. Shame about those disappointing mangoes but at least you've got lots of Easter chocolate to make up for it.
    I haven't had an egg for a long time so was very pleasantly surprised when a Lindt dark chocolate egg appeared on the kitchen table this morning ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad someone is looking out for you! What a lovely surprise.

      Delete
  3. Love all of your Easter eggs and the sound of the hot cross buns. I didn't make any buns either. I would love to try the whiskey chocolate. If you ever need more rice crackers etc, just ask your friends in Oz (like me) - we can send you some. Glad you had a good Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cakelaw - that is very kind! I hope you had a lovely Easter too, and found some tasty hot cross buns yourself.

      Delete
  4. I would love those apple hot cross buns, in fact I'm planning on making some. I don't like traditional hot cross buns much (same with mince pies, I prefer less mince and loads of apple thrown in)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I don't like mince pies at all and regular hot cross buns so often have citrus peel, which I dislike :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to see you're getting your chocolate on this Easter!! Hope you had a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get my chocolate on pretty much all of the time :P

      Delete
  6. I'm a big "peckish" fan - love the salt and vinegar but the sour cream and chives are my favourite :) Mmmm that Whiskey chocolate sounds delicious! Cheers, Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jan! It's nice to hear from another Peckish fan :-)

      Delete
  7. Kari, glad to hear you pay attention to the "air miles" when doing your shopping. I do, too. And, like you, any time I break the rule, the fruit is a disappointment anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a reminder to not break the 'air mile' rule, isn't it! I feel like a child being taught a lesson when these experiences happen :P

      Delete
  8. Happy Easter Kari! I love the sound of bunnycombs and the thought of stuffed ducks tickles me! I would totally have jumped on those apple cross buns too, I haven't made my own for years but was quite chuffed to discover Coles buns are ninja vegan anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter to you too! I remember the Coles hot cross buns being vegan - I used to like their mini ones that meant I got to eat more :D

      Delete
  9. Happy belated Easter and hope you did enjoy! Sorry about the paint fumes, but your post was very chocolatty warm and welcoming to me today!
    Thanks for sharing this month's kitchen view too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Joanne! I'm glad you liked the chocolate theme ;)

      Delete
  10. Happy Easter! Glad to see you managed to find vegan hot cross buns and chocolate - I only scored on the latter front. The M&S near me had completely sold out of the vegan buns! I like those crackers too - I wonder where else they're available? How was the whiskey chocolate in the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame about your M&S! I hope your vegan chocolate made up for missing them :-) I'll let you know if I see the crackers anywhere in store as I don't place Ocado orders too regularly (I always end up spending too much!).

      The whiskey chocolate was great actually, although surprised me by not having a liquor filling - it was solid chocolate with the whiskey within.

      Delete
  11. Easter is well and truly over now but it looks like you enjoyed yourself. Shame about those tempting mangoes. Have you tried the whisky chocolate yet I bet it is delicious

    ReplyDelete
  12. How nice that you can have potted hyacinths and basil in your kitchen! And glad you found some vegan buns - they look very good! Have a great April, Kari! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The potted basil is the promise of spring with your empty kitchen garden behind it. Thanks for giving us a glimpse, it will lovely to see in summer when it is full of vegetables.

    I freeze disappointing fruit to use in smoothies with vanilla almond milk. They take the place of ice cubes and the vanilla masks some of the lack of sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! Sadly the garden below is our neighbours, but fortunately he does share his vegetables with us :-)

      I often freeze disappointing (or over ripe) fruit for smoothies too - it's great, isn't it!

      Delete
  14. good to have fresh herbs around the kitchen. what cute little ducks Apple hot cross buns - yum Funny about the rice crackers. I remember trying to buy a tin of coconut milk in the US one time for a curry and they only had sweet stuff for martinis! and trying to buy a packet of corn chips in england was impossible but that was many years ago...

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).