Sunday, January 15, 2012

Some new products: Roccas Deli Veggie Wafer Crackers, and an assortment of teas

With the new year, it seems that some new food products have arrived to add excitement to our supermarket visits. Or to be more accurate, my supermarket visits, because Mr Bite has a calmness in the supermarket that I suspect I will never achieve.

These crackers were a particularly thrilling find last week: 



I've not tried the Roccas Deli cracker range before, but these almost jumped off the shelf into my trolley. Thin and crisp in texture, the crackers are potato based with either beetroot or sweet potato as the secondary ingredient. Unlike the rice crackers I favour most often in the cracker department, the flavour of these is all on the inside - there are no added spices on top of the cracker, or seasoning that rubs off on your hands.



I expected to like the sweet potato crackers best, but found myself completely won over by the Beetroot Infused with Mint. Admittedly, I couldn't taste any beetroot. I could taste a slight glimmer of mint, but the taste - to my complete surprise - was like the plain, lightly salted and lightly peppered crisps that I remember from my childhood. I rarely eat crisps these days as they're not something I really enjoy, but these were less oily, less potato-y, and more flavourful than the traditional variety. The pink colour is a bonus.

The ingredients in these crackers are fresh potato, fresh beetroot (38%), vegetable starch, sunflower oil, salt, vegetable gum (zanthan), mint, and black pepper. Nutritionally, 100g (equivalent to the full packet) has 413 calories, 10.3g fat (0.8g saturated), 3g protein, 74g carbohydrate (7g sugar) and 910mg sodium. I'd have liked less salt, but that is really par for the course with most commercial crackers.

All in all? I really, really liked these. I will definitely be buying them again.

The Seasoned Sweet Potato crackers were slightly softer and less crisp than the beetroot variety, and the sweet potato was definitely detectable. In fact, sweet potato and pepper were the dominant flavours. The slight heat from the pepper lingers after the cracker is over, and would probably work well with cheese, if you liked cheese.

The ingredient list starts off, again, with fresh potato, followed by sweet potato (30%), vegetable starch, sunflower oil, salt, garlic powder, coriander, vegetable gum (xanthan), cumin, and cayenne pepper. The nutritional information is comparable, with slightly less fat.

I did like these, but  not quite as much as the beetroot ones. When comparing them, my overall impression was that these were less 'sharp' than the beetroot, both in texture and in flavour. They seemed slightly more starchy and less captivating in taste, although pairing them with cheese or dip would no doubt rectify that (I ate both varieties plain).


These crackers were $2.99 per packet and I found them at Woolworths.

On the same shopping trip, I found two new herbal teas, complementing two I tried for the first time last December. I also re-visited an old favourite, and thought I'd mention all five teas in the one post.



The new varieties were 'Higher Living' Cinnamon and Ginger Kick. Higher Living is an English company I hadn't heard of before, but a look at their website confirms they make plenty of tea flavours I'd like to try.

The reason these caught my attention is that the Cinnamon and Ginger Kick teas don't just have cinnamon or ginger. The Cinnamon includes cinnamon, whole fennel seeds, licorice, citrus peel and ginger, whilst the Ginger Kick has ginger, lemon peel and safflowers.



Herbal teas do have a tendency to be more vivid in look and smell than in actual taste, so I was rather delighted to be able to detect the licorice and ginger, as well as cinnamon, in the Cinnamon tea. The Ginger Kick tasted more like traditional ginger tea, with no real identifiable differences to the other brands I've tried, but was still enjoyable. These were $3.69 each.

The two teas I picked up in December were Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger, and Madame Flavour Green Tea with Jasmine and Pear. The Red Zinger includes hibiscus, rosehips, peppermint, lemongrass, orange peel, lemon myrtle, licorice, and wild cherry bark. Overall, it tastes like berry herbal tea with peppermint and licorice. This flavour combination works very well, and it really is zing-like, despite the tea being caffeine free. The Madame Flavour Green Tea has a shorter ingredient list, with green tea, jasmine and 'natural pear flavour'. To me, it really just tastes like a slightly sweet green tea. Quite pleasant, but not anything very new.



Lastly, I have returned to the Italian Almond Tea that I purchase every now and then. This tea captivates me because it smells just like almond finger biscuits (the dense, cakey ones) - in other words, very almond essence-y. In contrast to the smell, the taste of the tea disappoints just a little, and I do tend to like it in small doses spread at medium intervals. When I am in the mood, though, it is very enjoyable. The taste  definitely includes almond essence, and as it is a black tea base you could serve it with milk (although I haven't done so).

So there we go! Any new supermarket discoveries in your area recently? Or have you tried any of the above products?

17 comments:

  1. Those crackers look amazing - must rush out and try them!

    I love new herbal teas but the one of all that you mention that I most want to try is the red zinger - I have had it before a other people's houses but can't remember it - and I am racking my brains for the recipe I saw which included red zinger - maybe it was a punch recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red zinger is the best of those herbal teas, so you made a good selection :) I hope you find the crackers too; they are worth rushing out for!

      Delete
  2. The almond tea sounds really interesting. When I was a barista, I always loved making people almond lattes because the syrup mixing with the warm milk and coffee smelt amazing. Of course the syrup was all chemicals, but it still smelled really good.
    This was in contrast to hazelnut.. that stuff smelled horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I don't think we have almond lattes here! What a great idea. And yes, I can imagine that almond would work much better than hazelnut. I am not sure why, but something about hazelnut just doesn't seem to lend itself to syrup or even coffee.

      Delete
  3. I am most intrigued by those crackers - they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the sound of those crackers, will have to keep an eye out for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find them! I haven't had a chance to look at different supermarkets but I'd imagine if they're in one Woolworths they'll be in others.

      Delete
  5. Oh, exciting! I really want some pink crackers now.

    We found Red Zinger a few weeks ago, reduced to clear(!!) so I got three boxes. I knew I would like it because it has hibiscus as the first ingredient. Something about hibiscus makes my mouth happy. Also, it's pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You find the most amazing specials! I still think of your 50c flavoured tofu sometimes - I need to visit your supermarket/s I think ;)

      If you find the pink crackers you can pair them with pink tea, and be in a delightful state of pink happiness :)

      Delete
  6. Those crackers sound good and they would make a cheese platter look so pretty!

    I love having a range of teas on hand. On the weekend there is always a discussion about what tea S and I will have with breakfast. I'm currently favouring Arctic Fire - you can get it from T2 - for its citrus top notes but the refreshing peppermint aftertaste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds great! And slightly similar to the Red Zinger one perhaps, as that too links fruit with peppermint. It's a combination I'd never thought of, but I'm rather taken with it :)

      Delete
  7. I would definitely be powerless before the beetroot crisps :) And ooooh, cinnamon tea! I need something to change-up my 3pm lemon and ginger habit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely works for that 3pm tea o'clock period :) And yes, sadly I have eaten all the beetroot crisps. (In fact, I ate them all in about 2 days.) Powerless is about right!

      Delete
  8. Ooooooo! Love me some red zinger!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadly, my local Woolworths has just told me that the Veggie Wafers are being discontinued. They are delish. I love having a grain free alternative that makes me feel like I'm being normal. And while cheese with them is nice I've discovered smoked oysters are the best companion!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).