Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Product review: Cinnamon Raisin Bagel Crisps and Orgran Crispibread with Quinoa

Reviewing these two cracker products highlighted how little I can know my own tastes. I expected to love the cinnamon raisin bagel crisps, and to find the quinoa crispibreads bland on their own.

As it turns out, I was wrong on both counts.

New York Style Bagel Crisps in Cinnamon Raisin flavour
  

These sounded great. The package looked enticing. The nutritional information showed they weren't exactly a health product, but I thought the taste might make the high-ish sugar and fat content worthwhile.

The bagel bites do smell wonderful, and the pieces are crisp, crunchy and enjoyable to bite into. There are raisins in each piece and the cinnamon is just detectable in flavour. There is nothing actually wrong with them.



For some reason, though, I found them to be simultaneously bland and too sweet. I'm not sure how.

I could blame my general dislike of fresh bagels, which perhaps doesn't translate well to liking bagel crisps.

I could blame the excess sugar (visible as a coating on the crisps) for the sweetness.

Or perhaps it's just the use of fairly refined ingredients, and what is effectively a biscuit rather than a cracker.


For whatever reason, I didn't love these. I was quite happy to get through the packet, but I don't feel the need to buy them again.



Orgran Toasted Multigrain Crispibread with Quinoa


Unlike the Bagel Crisps, these crackers looked quite plain. They sounded too healthy to be exciting. I bought them as a base for vegemite, nut butter or hummus, with the idea that they would be a change from standard crackers and provide a little more protein than their quinoa-free partners.

Somehow, they took me by surprise. The texture is chewier than normal crispbreads, and slightly denser. Although the quinoa content is only 10% (brown rice is the first ingredient), they had a slight nuttiness that was reminiscent of the grain.



I could (and did) quite happily eat them plain.

They do also work well with hummus, although not, oddly, with peanut butter.


It's a rare occasion when I like the plain product over the sweet one, but I think this time I'm happy it's the case.

Crispibread 1, Bagel Crisps 0!

Have you been taken by surprise when trying any new products? Or found you've liked something you didn't expect to?

Side note: I've compiled these sorts of posts into a Product Reviews page. (The unevenness of the categories suggests I may need to do some more savoury reviews!)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kari, I found your blog through Lisa (Bake Bike Blog) - always looking for some new Aussie healthy food and great fitness blogs to read so I've bookmarked you.
    Looking forward to reading more.
    Liz N

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really eat crackers because they put the "crack" in crackers (har har), but if I were to, I would surely go quinoa... Which makes me think that I could probably devise my *own* quinoa crackers, now that the thought's in mind... excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Liz N
    Welcome! I'm thrilled you found me. I just checked out your blog and am also thrilled to find another Australian to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog
    If you do, can you please share? I do know what you mean about crackers too, I find them rather addictive at times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *gasp* Something that doesn't work with peanut butter? My world just collapsed in on itself!

    (Did you try the bagel crisps with peanut butter? Might counteract the sweetness....)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats weird that it worked with hummus over pb...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Hannah
    You know, I think the bagel crisps + PB combination may have been perfect. The flavours would have worked wonderfully. And now I have finished the packet! I might have to buy another after all...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @laura
    I know! I feel obliged to note it may just have been me...but I am not usually one to like hummus over peanut butter. Odd!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).