Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Product review: Leda gingernut cookies (vegan)




Summary: These gingernut cookies are dairy free, egg free and gluten free.

They're also lower in fat and sugar than most cookies: a serving of two provides 70 calories, 1.9g fat (0.9g saturated fat) and 6.4g sugar.

They provide negligible protein, so in that sense they're no different to most commercial biscuits.









The verdict: The biscuits are nicely flavoured and have a satisfying crunch. The ginger isn't over-powering, and they're sweet without being too sweet. If you like soft cookies, these may not be for you. However, if you're after a biscuit to dunk in your tea (or coffee), these will work very well!




I'm not a fan of hard biscuits, but as these are crunchy without being solid, I think they would work well both with hot drinks and by themselves.


The initial crunch also means that you can achieve a soggy but intact biscuit if you do elect to drink and dunk!






Ingredients: Gluten free flour (tapioca, chickpea, potato, rice), raw sugar, treacle, vegetable shortening (palm oil), antioxident (vitamen E), ginger powder (4%), golden syrup, guar gum, xantham gum, raising agent (sodium bicarbonate), salt.

Nutrition:

 

Where to buy: I found these at my local Coles supermarket. They're impressively priced at $2.95, considerably less than many of the other vegan biscuits available.


Overall rating: 7 / 10.


I suspect I'll buy them again!

9 comments:

  1. ooh. i love a biscuit i can dunk into my tea. it makes the biccie and the tea extra tasty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've crumbled these up and folded them into meringue for gingersnap pavlovas before :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these biscuits. Im cross woolworths dont sell them any more as this is the only supermarket we have. Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't realised that Woolworths had stopped selling them :-( What a shame.

      Delete
  4. thanks for this post. I have linked back to you from my blog - http://alycevayleauthor.com/2013/02/22/21-vegan-snacks-under-100-calories/

    I like Leda stuff too - I can eat a whole pack of these things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for linking back Alyce - that was really kind! I love your post and agree that these can easily go from a low energy snack to a high one if the pack is open and near by ;)

      Delete
  5. Love these. Dunk in lon and ginger tea! Once I start I can't stop! Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).